Temp Reading on New Drive not showing correctly

dbailey75

Question

Hey, just installed a new HGST 7.2k NAS drive,  well, it finished the extended formatting, took about 9 hours, and scanner has been running for maybe 30 minutes, well, the Temp in Scanner has been 86 F all day, while the drives on either side of it are currently 102.2 and 105.8, and nothing is really going on with those drives, so I'm fairly certain, my new HGST is heating those up, and there's no way my HGST drive is 86F.

and it got me thinking that my SSD, which has perpetually been 86 degrees for the last several months, that maybe the data on these two drive is not being polled correctly.

Forgot I had PerfectDisk installed, it's showing 111F on the HGST 7.2k NAS drive.

Edit,

Well, just did a reboot, all is well, scratching my head on this one.  

3 answers to this question

Wow, that's warm. Disconcertingly so (IMO).

As for the drive, was this "connected hot" (as in plugged in while the system was already powered up)?

If so, that could be the issue. Or that the system was .... installing a device driver for the drive.

If the temperature reporting issue comes back, definitely let us know.

Naw, I powered off, added new drive, booted up,  new drive was there, initialized as GPT, quick format, rebooted, long format, I left for work, and then noticed the temp, restarted remotely, and it all looks good,  Yeah, I'm thinking this drive is going to run a little warm at 7200, but performance has it's price ;)