GPT (& MBR) data

Edward

Question

Not sure if in correct forum but placing this in the Scanner section as related to disks. 

On one of my discs (physical disk as part of my DrivePool) it occasionally loses its GPT data rendering the disc as 'not initialised'.  After a while (days)  it comes back allowing the partitions and data to be seen again. Question:  Why does this happen and how can I arrange things so it does not happen? Alternatively can I take a backup of the relevant GPT data (or MBR as the case may be) and then do a restore when it does happen? 

Does Scanner check the integrity of the GPT(or MBR) info and flag things where necessary?

I suspect Diskpart provides a solution of some kind but for the life of me it is not obvious what Diskpart command(s) are appropriate.

cheers

:)

2 answers to this question

I have had this happen to my system many times.

My solution is easy.

Power down your system.

Turn off all external drives.  I have a 8 bay external.  I also have a USB Hub with externals attached.  The HUB has switches to turn the drives on or off.

Boot up your system and check your startups.  I remove all but the most critical such as USB Monitor and any specific motherboard drivers that must be loaded.

I then use Device Cleanup from https://www.uwe-sieber.de/

When all the garbage is clear.  I reboot the system .  Allow it to settle down and turn on all hard drives 1 at a time.

Even drivepool tries to load at the same time a HD request is made. That has caused drive to go stupid.  I find that if I force the system to reload the device driver for the drives.  It fixes it.