New Balancer - All in One

Ultradianguy

Question

Hi - I noticed there is a new balancer called All in One that seems to combine the SSD balancer with a few others. Has anyone used this one?  It seems it wasn't developed by Covecube so I'm wondering if it's reliable.

Also - I see there is a checkbox for archive drive in addition to Duplicate and Unduplicated.  I'm assuming if you pick SSD, it's to indicate you want to write cache - otherwise you can just treat it like any other drive.  So why would you check Archive? 

Thanks

2 answers to this question

On 4/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Ultradianguy said:

Hi - I noticed there is a new balancer called All in One that seems to combine the SSD balancer with a few others. Has anyone used this one?  It seems it wasn't developed by Covecube so I'm wondering if it's reliable.

Also - I see there is a checkbox for archive drive in addition to Duplicate and Unduplicated.  I'm assuming if you pick SSD, it's to indicate you want to write cache - otherwise you can just treat it like any other drive.  So why would you check Archive? 

Archive is where data will end up after its time on the SSDs is up. I could be wrong, but I think Archive also means that if you were to re-balance data, the drives *without* archive set are prioritized for re-writes and data moving. Archive means "leave data here unless absolutely necessary". eg, if you have any SMR HDDs, you don't really want data being moved about on them.