[solved] Issue with NFS Sharing from Pool

falc410

Question

I did some research and since 2013 Drivepool should support NFS shares, I also checked that the necessary setting in the config File is set to true (by default). Still I can't share folder via NFS, it gives me an error that brings me to the following link after googling it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/687aa6fe-0886-4f82-bc47-270b4692630b/i-cant-create-a-nfs-share-on-a-windows-2012-storage-serve-2012?forum=winserverfiles

So basically it says you can't create NFS shares on a non physical disk. How come I read that Drivepool supports NFS then if Microsoft doesn't allow it?

EDIT: Partially solved! The Share name must NOT include whitespaces ! Since it automatically takes the Folder name you have to replace any whitespace with something else. Going to test now and see if it is finally possible to access my server throug xbmc, because smb sure is not working.

3 answers to this question

Linux of course (Openelec). If it would be Windows, there probably would be no problem. Except that SMB even under Windows 8.1 and a PC that joined the Domain doesn't work as expected. Transfers start with around 110 MB/s then drop to 40 MB/s and stay there constantly. Same PC with WHS2011 was able to get a constant 80 MB/s and this was probably limited due to the HDDs. Server 2012 is really crappy, guess it really is the Windows 8 of the Server Family.

OSX connection via SMB is even worse and Linux is impossible. Tested only for 5 Minutes NFS yesterday and that seemed to work fast enough.

Ah, I had a feeling that it was going to be Linux. And yeah, from whatever reason, Linux and Windows shares doesn't play together nicely usually.

However, the network issues you're experiencing definitely aren't normal. I'm running Server 2012R2 Essentials, and get 80-100MB/s regularly. That's from the server on a domain client. However, that's copying to an SSD to ensure sufficient speed. And the client is Windows 8.

I do have a link for troubleshooting a lot of network issues, if you wanted to give Windows 8+XBMC a shot again.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/

Some of it's meant for WHSv1, but the network stuff applies to every version of Windows.