Server 2012 R2 Essentials - Crashes and Reboots when copying to Pool

falc410

Question

I did start with a seeded Pool but some of the data was still on unpooled Parts of the HDDs (because I wanted the data to go to a different HDD). So I copy from Disk2\Folder to Pool\someOtherFolder

And after some time the server just restarts. It's probably a blue screen, I don't know. It's a headless box that has just been installed with 2012 R2 Essentials and I did copy manually from one HDD to another the past week (migrating from unraid ReiserFS to NTFS) before installing Diskpool.

I did look into the Event log, but I can only see two Critical Events from my crashes: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." That's about it. I'm not familiar with Windows Events Debugging since I come from Linux so I don't know where else to look.

It might be that it's not Diskpools fault, but then again, the machine was running fine for over a week and I did copy 10TB of Data from one HDD to another, without any crash.

Any idea how to debug this further?

3 answers to this question

There may be a "MEMORY.DMP" file in "C:\Windows" as well as minidumps in "C:\Windows\MiniDump".

If there are, these will correspnd with any time you experienced a BSOD. Additionally,  they will contain the reasons for the BSOD.

To read them, you'd need to install the WIndows SDK and the Windows Debugger to read them. Or upload them to us, so we can analyze them.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

(there is a Box.com upload widget at the bottom of the linked page)

Alternatively, you could install "WhoCrashed" on the system (30 day trial, after which you would need to purchase the "pro" version to keep it running on your server).

That will read these dumps, and give a basic idea of what is crashing the system.

If there are no crash dumps, then that definitely makes it more difficult to identify what the issue is. And at this point, I'd recommend running a memory test.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q537229

And if you have StableBit Scanner installed, you could run a burst test on each of the disks (one at a time, ideally) to determine if there is an issue with the controller or cable.

StableBit Scanner should automatically throttle based on file usage. There shouldn't be an issue there.

Again, I'd really recommend that memory test first.

Also double check the system settings to make sure it's configured to keep the crash dump.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes