An absolutely dumb question re: folders in the pool

thedigitalhobo

Question

Can't believe I'm asking this, as I'm sure I know the answer, but just want some insurance.

I'm trying to wrap my head around which folders on a drive are in the pool and which aren't.

I have 3 drives (h:, i:, j:) all in my pool. They were added with content already on those drives. I set up a Pool Folder (E:) , where my content that is "in the pool" lives.

I also believe that I can continue to use the drives as if they were not in the pool. If I add a folder to the H: drive, it does not get added to the pool, correct?

I am going to add two 4TB drives to the pool, and remove two of the three 2tb drives. I want to make sure I don't lose any information in the process.

Where does the info that is "In the pool" go when I remove a drive from the pool?

9 answers to this question

If you use the "Show Hidden Files" option, you'll noticied a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder (where the xxxx's are a bunch of letters and numbers, formatted in a "GUID" string).

Anything that is in this folder is in the pool. Anything not in this folder is NOT in the pool. Simple as that.

And as for when you remove a drive from the pool, it depends on the options you select. But it moves them to other drives in the pool, if possible.

So, ideally here, you should add the 2x 4TB drives, and *then* remove the 2TB drives. That way, the contents get moved onto those 4TB drives.

I think I covered all of your questions here. If I didn't, or if you need clarification, or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Perfectly, Drashna, thanks.

I need to remove one drive from the enclosure to make room, otherwise I'd have just popped in the new drives.

But the box I'm using for my server only has 6 hard drive bays, and I'm using 5 of them. So I figured I'd remove one drive from the pool first, then take it out of the box when I put in the two new ones.

Between the "create duplicate files" and my own back up copies of files outside the pool, I think I have some seriously uneccesary redundancy going on. Having backups of files on the same drive, inside and outside of the pool, doesn't really help me when/if a drive crashes.

Transfer went fine. Added two 4TB drives to the pool with no problem. Ended up only removing one of the 2TB drives from the pool and took out a 150gb WD Raptor that wasn't really being used to its potential in my setup. Moving that to my main desktop as a work drive.

I have run into one problem, though. I want to change the name of a folder that is in my pool, but I'm getting an error saying "A file or folder is being used by another program." But I don't have any other programs running (I'm in WHS2011). I presume it is one of the services or balancers or something.

I saw that this was an error that had been fixed in a previous version. Can you shed any light on it?

It really depends on which folder. If it was one of the actual shared folders... that may be why. Also, if the media streamer is making an index pass, that could do it... or a number of other background services...

Worst case, you could probably just try again in a bit. (there are also a number of tools to look at "locked files")

Oh, and are you doing this over the network, or "locally".

And as for the backups... there is no such thing as too many backups. Seriously.  It just make get expensive... :P

Oh, the FTP may definitely be the issue then....

One utility that I use personally when trying to track down issues like this is "Unlocker". It only works on the local drives, but it's good for trying to figure out what's locking files. Though I am not sure how well it will work on the DrivePool drive though.

Also, what FTP server are you using, by the way?

yes, when trying to rename one of the main folders on the pooled drive.

I have the pooled drive set as E:

But I only give users on my network and via FTP access to a folder on E: which is E:/ThePool/

I have other folders on E: that I use personally, but dont want to give other users access to.

When trying to rename ThePool folder, I get the error. E:/ThePool is set as the default home folder for FileZila server.