Drive(s) dropping from pool

klepp0906

Question

Does this generally indicate failing disks?  Ive noticed on two occasions now ive had 2 separate drives drop from the pool.   A restart didnt bring them back.  Only a shutdown and restart of my jbod/chassis that keeps the disks powered on 24/7 otherwise.

They tend to drop during heavy use (during a snapraid scrub in this case)

just trying to figure out if thats likely the issue before i go dropping the exorbitant cost on a few hard drives that may not fix the issue.   I assume thats its likely but with no warnings from scanner smart or otherwise I'd love some reinforcement or otherwise :P

5 answers to this question

Are you using an AMD ryzen system and USB-connected JBOD? You could be having the USB disconnect issue that has affected a lot of users. It should be fixed by BIOS updates and newer chipset drivers depending on the mobo manufacturer but in my case everything is fully updated and I still have USB drive disconnects. I'm going to try adding a PCIE expansion card and connecting to that instead to see if the issue is fixed.

pretty much universally no lol.  

intel system and i'm connected via HBA.  It seems to be in high stress situations though, have not seen it happen during general use that I can recall but its pretty frequent when accessing everything at once or under really heavy io

Ah that's a tough one. If the disks SMART readings are ok then my first guess would be the JBOD chassis power supply or other hardware failing. Disk failures are usually more slow moving in that you start to see errors and corruption and will get some warning from the pool. If it completely fails suddenly then a restart wouldn't bring it back.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, klepp0906 said:

intel system and i'm connected via HBA.  It seems to be in high stress situations though, have not seen it happen during general use that I can recall but its pretty frequent when accessing everything at once or under really heavy io

Check that the HBA is not overheating. If it's not in a high-airflow server chassis, you'll need a dedicated fan blowing air over it. Had this issue myself once - the controllers have puny heatsinks, as they are assumed to be in a chassis with 6000rpm fans.

Hey, good suggestion.  I did find that it was incredibly hot. Holy smokes.  I’ve long since added kryonaut TIM and mounted a noctua to it though lol. 

that being said, after a whole slew of drive replacement, recreation of the pools, chkdsks, permissions resets, basically everything I could throw at it. so far so good lol