possible to have dashboard add-in and desktop versions installed at same time?

mr_yellow

Question

Hi,

I recently discovered that Stablebit Scanner has a dashboard add-in version which I installed after uninstalled the desktop version.  Now I realized gettng to the scanner takes twice as long since I have to boot up the dashboard *then* click on the scanner add-in.  And there's no longer a start menu link to launch scanner independantly.

I'd love to be able to just launch Scanner via the start menu while keeping the dashboard add-in.  Is this possible?

Edit;: this is for windows server 2012 R2

Thanks,

6 answers to this question

Sure, definitely. There are a couple of ways to do this, but I'll list the recommended method:

Install the 2.5 beta "WHS" version.

Install the 2.5 beta "Windows 7" version on your desktop. No license needed for this version (unless you want to).

Then use the Remote Control version. These don't matter what version you use (desktop vs WHS), as long as they're the same version number.

Thanks,

How exactly do I launch the remote control?

I've installed the WHS scanner and then the "windows 7" version of the scanner and see both in the uninstall programs section of the control panel.  But I still don't have scanner in my start menu...  I don't see any obvious executable in program files\stablebit\scanner either...  

Well, I hope you didn't install both on the server. You'd want to install the "Windows 7" version on a desktop/client computer.

And this needs to be version 2.5.

Once you've done that, you just load the normal UI on the client computer. On the top left corner, it should list the computer name. Click on it, and it should list all the computers on the network that have StableBit Scanner installed. Select the server, and then it will display all the information from the server.

Oh..  haha.. I did install both on the same computer (my windows home server).   It's on the windows home server that I'm trying to have both running.  Kinda like how the drivepool has a dashboard add-in and a desktop UI, I was trying to get a similar setup with scanner.

If this isn't supported/possible, I guess I should back out of having both versions installed.  I assume uninstalling one version will break the uninstall of the other?  

what would you recommend I do to revert back to a single version?

Well, uninstalling will break the other. May not break the uninstall, but I'm not sure.

In theory, it should not have let you install both versions. 

What version were you using specifically?

And yes, I would recommend uninstalling both, and then re-installing the "WHS2011" version.

I would also make sure you have a backup of the system before doing so, just in case.

I had installed the latest beta version (2.5.xxx) if I recall correctly.

I'll try to uninstall the desktop version first and see what happens. Hopefully I can repair the install if the uninstall fails.

edit: Nope.  had to uninstall the desktop version then trying to reinstall the whs version failed, so I had to uninstall that via control panel (which gave an error but still removed the entry), then I had to remove the add-in from the dashboard which was still installed.   Only then could I reinstall the whs version.