Install chipset drivers?

jjross

Question

I just purchased a new board for my Windows Server 2012 install.   I plan on hosting a Drivepool arry and the machine will mainly be used for Plex.

The machine has been running well but I'm wondering if I should install the native chipset / SATA drivers.  I've read a few threads that indicate that the drivers can have a large impact on the performance of the array but I don't really want to add any additional "failure" points. 

So, are the default Microsoft AHCI drivers good enough or should I install the AMD driver package?

2 answers to this question

I just purchased a new board for my Windows Server 2012 install.   I plan on hosting a Drivepool arry and the machine will mainly be used for Plex.

The machine has been running well but I'm wondering if I should install the native chipset / SATA drivers.  I've read a few threads that indicate that the drivers can have a large impact on the performance of the array but I don't really want to add any additional "failure" points. 

So, are the default Microsoft AHCI drivers good enough or should I install the AMD driver package?

I'd be inclined to use the manufacture drivers, especially when it comes the chipset and controllers to name a few.  They typically offer additional functionally over the standard MS drivers, I can't comment on better performance, performance is relative depending on your hardware anyway.  just my 2 cents.