Trouble cloning old PATA system drive to SSD

dslabbekoorn

Question

Windows Server 2012 Essentials running on a Seagate 200 GB PATA (yes parallel) all by itself.  I have tried twice, once using Paragon's Migrate OS to SSD (own it) and once with FarStone DriveClone server edition (14 day full function trial).  Paragon's attempt was point and shoot with few options and it failed to boot at all.  FarStone's attempt (more thorough with more options) got further but crapped out right after the little circle thing quits and it moves to the next screen.  I'm in an endless repair page boot loop.  Ran bootrec /fixmbr  and bootrec /fixboot bootrec /rebuildbcd and finally bootspec in the recovery environment that windows through me into. All completed successfully but still can't boot past this spot.  The original drive still works and boots fine, I've had it back in twice today.  Trying to clone it again with DriveClone as it got the furthest and I'll check it tomorrow, bedtime.  SSD checks out OK by windows I can write to it and read from it, full capacity.  Original drive has nothing but the system on it and 71 GB are used out of 200 on the old PATA drive  The new SSD has 111.5 free (technically a 120GB) Kingston.  Neither program had any issue with using the SSD as the target as the actual used part of the old system drive was only 70GB the rest is free space.  Don't know what is wrong here and any advice is appreciated.  I can't keep using the old drive for much longer, it's slow (up to 10 min reboot times) and hot and loud.  How do I clone my old Windows Server 2012 Essentials system drive to a smaller SSD and get it to boot?  Lastly, should any of this moving around the system drive mess up DrivePool? Other than the drive letters changing when some usb cables got moved (drivepool found both drives and called them by their new names just fine) nothing should be changing for it.

3 answers to this question

If you're using Windows Server 2012 Essentials, why not use the server backup feature. If you have a backup, boot from the install disk and pick the repair option. If you have the backup disk connected, it will see that and let you restore the backup images to a new drive.

I used this to migrate from a 500GB HDD to a SSD actually. You'll want to shrink the partition first to be the right size and run a backup, but it should work.

And this shouldn't affect StableBit DrivePool at all. Other than maybe drive letters, or if you mess around with the pooled disks (make absolutely sure nothing happens to them!)

I recall when cloning a partition from an HDD to an SSD, you need to make sure the partitions are aligned properly.  Are you sure your cloning tool knows how to handle SSDs?

This is the guide I used to migrate my windows 7 install on my old thinkpad to an SSD.  

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows