Intermitent Smart issues

britgeezer

Question

My question is slightly different so I'm starting a new thread.

I made a new installation of WH2011 with DP and Scanner.

Somehow I managed to mix DP for W7 and Scanner for WHS2011...

I'm having issues with Smart failures popping up and disappearing,  basically 3 WD 3TB (2012 only 1 still in warranty for 6 days more) drives take turns to give the error "some attributes outside OEM tolerance with reallocated sectors at 39.2%  - interesting that its the same value and mostly green but sometime red. One drive does it far more frequently. 

I read the similar thread on configuring scanner to avoid certain messages, but it also says use scanner version 2.5 which is the beta.

So should I uninstall the WHS2011 version 2.4.0. 2929 and go with the W7 version 2.4.0 2828 and then to the beta. Or can I just upgrade to the beta version 2.5.0.3041 which looks as if it may be a merge since the versions are the same?

In my Scanner version the email (I just turned it on) has no details of the error it just refers to failing XX being the name I gave the disk in the bay description.  

15 answers to this question

Well the answer is nothing.....

Scanner is still reporting version 2.4.0.2929 and WH2011 tells me the update was installed and doesn't want to permit me doing it again.

I tried hot and power off and wait resets of the server without seeing any change in scanner version number.

I could uninstall and try again but ...

Guess I have to wait for further input

As for the intermittent SMART data, enable "Smart_NoWmi"

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

And I would recommend the WHS2011 version. 

But you should uninstall the old version (the win7 version) before installing the new version.

If need be, do a "clean install" via:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q8964978B

and 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q8964978

Sorry, I'm not quite understanding you.

I'm am running Scanner 2.4.0.2929 the latest for WHS2011, only the Drive Pool is W7.

A previous smart problem question with similar issues said to install the beta, 2.5.0.3041 as well as do the Smart_NoWmi thing. 

I downloaded 2.5.0.3041 and installed, it but Scanner still reports 2.4.0.2929 even though WHS2011 indicates it was installed.

Is there a difference in the beta versions from WHS2011 vs. W7 even though they have the same build reference?  

1. Are you saying no need to load the scanner beta just try the Smart_NoWmi change? 
  2. Are you saying "uninstall the beta" (that isn't showing it was installed) and go back to 2.4.0.2929 and then just try Smart_No Wmi?

Edit:  saw your reply under Drive Pool will now uninstall beta and put back 2.4.0.2929 from WHS2011 and then try Smart _No Wmi, no need to the beta right?

The features are identical for the build number. We've just moved to using the same number instead of different ones.

The only between the two versions is how they install, and the UI. The "WHS2011" uses the dashboard, and the "Windows 7" version uses a stand alone UI.

Aside from that, they're identical.

The Smart_NoWmi should work with either version, just fine.

But as for the issue you're seeing, it sounds like something didn't get upgraded right. You should completely uninstall StableBit Scanner and reinstall it. Either version would be fine. It's up to you which version to install.

Thanks very much for answering my question about versions.

Re-install is complete since last might  Smart _No Wmi changed to True this morning and Scanner is now looking at all drives again.

Only unusual thing is that I had to provide license details to activate Scanner after changing the config file.

Fingers crossed.  :rolleyes: 

Now you explained the version differences for the beta version, do you suggest I change to it in a couple of days after we see the results of this change?

Again, thnaks for your help.

If you followed the link above, it resets all the settings for StableBit Scanner, which means that you'll need to reactivate the license. That is most likely what you saw happening.

As for which version to use, I'd say wait a couple of days and see if everything settles down. If it does, then feel free to upgrade to the beta version (or stay on this one for now).

Also, what specific drives were having the issue? And what controller card (or motherboard) were they attached to?

Actually, if you could click on ... any drive in the system, select "SMART Details" and check the "submit to bitflock" option, and then give me the BitFlock ID that it generates, that would be greatly appreciated.

OK will do.

Waiting for scans to complete, taking much longer than before, messages about equalizing temps. Case is fully open with extra fan blowing...

New never before, messages about Smart not being accessible although its allowed in BIOS and Scanner. I guess will not report corrrectly until scan complete.

No messages via email so far ...

I tried sending data to Bitflock before, never got a message back about where the message file should be. Where should it be?

I will wait until all scans complete, before doing anything else:

3 x WD 3TB green circa 2012 WD30EXRX-64MB occasional errors all 3, 1 drive evey 5 minutes.

2 x WD 4TB green - WD40EZRX-64MB brand new and no errors.

MB is GIGAByte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 using both the onboard SATA and Marvell 88E9172 chip latest drivers from Gigabyte site.

Thanks

Its a little strange:

Samsung SSDC Healthy,  Smart OK.

WD 3TB Waiting to scan, Smart OK

WD 3TB Scanning, 72%,  Smart OK

WD 3TB Waiting Temp Equalization, Smart OK

WD 4TB Scanning, Smart not acessible.

WD 4TB Healthy, Smart not acessible.

Prior to reinstall all smarts OK.

Device manager indicates:

WDC WD30 or 40 SCSI disk device

Intel AHCI chipset SATA AHCI controller

Storage controller - Covecube Disk Enumerator, Marvell 91xx SATA 6G controller

Update 7/15/14 OK scanner has completed and shows no issues on the HD's however:

The SSDC and 3x WD 3TB report Smart OK - I sent one to bitflock ID 1T1VDVQP4.

Both the WD 4TB drives are reporting on disk Smart not accessible - this is occuring only since Smart_NoWmi was made True.

At least I'm not getting the disk failure message now, but any thoughts?

Are both of these 4TB drives connected to the Marvell controller?

If so, that may be why.

Could you download the Direct IO test program?

http://dl.covecube.com/DirectIoTest/

Run it on the system, and select one of the disks not showing SMART data. 

There will be two sections, one for "WMI" and one for "DirectIO". Make sure that "SMART Attributes" has a green checkmark next to it in one or both of these boxes.

I'm guessing that the "DirectIO" box will have a red "X" instead of a green checkbox. 

If this is the case, check the "UnsafeDirectIo" box. That should update it. 

Let me know if that causes it to show a green checkmark next to SMART Attributes in the "DirectIO" section.

Are both of these 4TB drives connected to the Marvell controller?

If so, that may be why.

YES, you are correct, but they were previously also. I could change them over but then 2 of of the 3TB drives must be on the Marvell controller.

Could you download the Direct IO test program?

http://dl.covecube.com/DirectIoTest/

Run it on the system, and select one of the disks not showing SMART data. 

There will be two sections, one for "WMI" and one for "DirectIO". Make sure that "SMART Attributes" has a green checkmark next to it in one or both of these boxes.

I'm guessing that the "DirectIO" box will have a red "X" instead of a green checkbox. 

If this is the case, check the "UnsafeDirectIo" box. That should update it. 

Let me know if that causes it to show a green checkmark next to SMART Attributes in the "DirectIO" section.

Correct again, when I check unsafe I/O I get

Direct I/O                        No WMI

Smart Status                   red                            green

Power mode                    red                                red

Smart Attributes              green                            green

Smart thresholds            green                            green

Smart errolog                  green                             red

However if the unsafedirecti/o is unchecked it reverts back to red X for direct I/O

Whats next? Try the beta?

Okay, that's what I thought.

In that case, then it may be best to enable "UnsafeDirectIo" for StableBit Scanner on your system.

Just as a warning, the setting can cause issues. Up to and including crashing the controller and BSODs. However, in most cases where this setting needs to be enabled, there hasn't been any issues reported. We just wish to err on the side of caution.

To enable the setting, either use the following link to configure the file:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Or use this download link for a prebuilt file (taken from my system, actually):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0krodbweqz1rrc4/Scanner.Service.exe.config

Once the file is in place (as in, in "C:\Program Files (x86)\StableBit\Scanner\"), you'll need to restart the "StableBit Scanner Service" using "services.msc", or you'll want to reboot the server.

Once that is back, you should get the SMART data from the other drives on the Marvell controller.

(actually, I had to use this config with my HighPoint RocketRAID card which used a Marvell chipset as well)