BUG: Every time I start the DrivePool GUI after updating to 2.3.0.1385 I not get a UAC prompt. Upgraded from a .12xx version

phhowe17

Question

I recently upgraded from a .12xx version (not sure of the last digits) to the current .1385 version.  Now, every time I start the DrivePool GUI I receive an UAC prompt to allow changes to this device.  Impacts both Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2.  I rebooted after installing the .1385 version.  I know 2.2.5.1237 does not have this behavior.

DrivePool didn't used to generate this prompt.  What changed and can it be changed to not require the prompt.

I have not configured StableBit Cloud.

Looks like it was added during a pre-beta build.

2.3.0.1385 - Release
2.3.0.1244 - Beta
* Require administrative access for the UI.

2.2.5.1237 - Release

Do documentation on why admin is now required.

Edited by phhowe17
found bea build that added this.

3 answers to this question

7 hours ago, phhowe17 said:

every time I start the DrivePool GUI I receive an UAC prompt to allow changes to this device ... DrivePool didn't used to generate this prompt.  What changed and can it be changed to not require the prompt.

I don't know whether this change was intentional (I am still running 2.2.5.1237), but there is a simple way that you can bypass the UAC control. This method works for any program:

(1) Create a task in "Task Scheduler" that starts the Drivepool GUI and which runs with maximum privileges.

(2) Create a desktop shortcut that runs the task created in (1). When you click this shortcut, the task will run, and because it has maximum privileges, the UAC prompt will not appear.

Details are in the attached ZIP file.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

shortcuts_without_uac.zip

I did see in the changelog \ what's new this as well - I assumed it was for security as you wouldn't necessarily want non-admins messing with your pool etc. but you're right it sounds like there should be an explanation at some point.