DrivePool 2.0.0.3xx and FreeFileSync

woodp

Question

I had been using FreeFileSync to sync several directories on my local PC with a Drive Pool on a WS2012E server. A couple days ago, FreeFileSync (FFS) started freezing attempting to write its "Lock" file to the server directories.

I think, but can't confirm, the problem started with the upgrade to 2.0.0.310. Upgrading again to 2.0.0.312 earlier today had no effect. FFS still stalls trying to write its lock file to the servier directories.

This afternoon I uninstalled FFS and reinstalled an old copy of Microsoft's SyncToy. Voila, syncing works again!

It really seems like FFS and the latest DP don't like each other but I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?

12 answers to this question

I am having the same problem with DrivePool 2.0.0.3XX and FreeFile Sync. At first, I wasn't sure that DP was the problem, but after uninstalling my antivirus and all other processes that might have caused the conflict, DP now appears to be the only suspect causing the conflict. When FFS starts synchronizing, my hard disk led (C: drive only, which is not part of any pool) starts shining a bright and constant red and FFS slows down to a crawl and frequently freezes. The synchronizing in FFS is between 2 separate DP pools and all of the HDs in both pools (30 in total) are mounted to directories on the C: drive. I have had similar problems using DVDFab, although not as severe.

I haven't tried an alternative syncing program yet; I am just manually copying in Windows Explorer with no problem.

Alex significantly changed the "Lock" system used by DrivePool, in part to greatly improve the functionality, performance and reliability. However, any significant change means that there is always going to be issues that crop up.

http://blog.covecube.com/2013/07/stablebit-drivepool-2-0-0-310-beta-file-system-improvements/

If you guys would be willing to grab some logging data and send it to http://stablebit.com/Contact, we'll see about getting the issue sorted. To enable the logging:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I am having a similar problem with DrivePool 2.0.0.312 BETA.

I have stored video files on my WHS 2011 server.

When I want to edit these files from my desktop PC (Win7), VirtualDub (1.7.8) always freezes and has to be terminated via task manager.

I experienced no problems with the 2.0.0.2x builds.

I noticed the bug since the 2.0.0.3x builds.

But I cannot tell you the exact build number.

I reproduced the error and send you the log file via the contact formular (it is only 73kb large).

If you still need input, do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for following up.

I've responded to the ticket already, but most of that is info I've posted here as well. There is a link in the post I made a couple of days ago with the blog post about what exactly has changed. it's the "locking and caching" code that is most likely the issue here.

Good to know that this is resolved. Build 320 resolves a bug that was (unfortunately) introduced in 312 which I think was responsible for this and some other issues that people have been reporting.