Migrating pool to new PC

crankycowboy

Question

Hello! I'm moving my server to a new rack and PC. I know that you can just unregister drivepool, install Drivepool on the new PC and just move all the disks, and it will read the existing pool etc. However, I have a situation where I need to be able to view settings/files on the existing server and sort of go back and forth. I think it will require me to remove a disk from my current pool, move the disk and add it to a new pool on the new PC, and then copy data over, and continue to do this until all data is moved from the "old" pool to the new. What is the best way to go about things this way?

6 answers to this question

It seems like there isn't a lot of activity on this forum anymore like there was when I initially started using these products. I'm wondering if I should consider another route with so few users utilizing this software anymore.  I really would appreciate some input if someone had some suggestions.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, crankycowboy said:

Hello! I'm moving my server to a new rack and PC. I know that you can just unregister drivepool, install Drivepool on the new PC and just move all the disks, and it will read the existing pool etc. However, I have a situation where I need to be able to view settings/files on the existing server and sort of go back and forth. I think it will require me to remove a disk from my current pool, move the disk and add it to a new pool on the new PC, and then copy data over, and continue to do this until all data is moved from the "old" pool to the new.

I am in a similar situation. I have built a new PC, but none of the disks in the old PC will be used in the new PC. I therefore need to transfer all of the files in the drive pool in the old PC to the drive pool in the new PC. This requires TWO Drivepool licences, since I need to have Drivepool installed on both systems concurrently for the duration of the transfer.

If I were going to continue to need a drive pool in the old PC, I would purchase another licence. But I don't have that need at present. The only way that I can think of to transfer the files is to:

(1) Transfer the licence to the new PC.

(2) Remove the disks from the old PC, and connect them temporarily to the new PC. This supposes that you have enough SATA or USB sockets available on the new PC. Drivepool should recognise the old drive pool on the old disks when they are connected to the new PC. (I have not tried this yet.)

(3) Create a second drive pool in the new PC, using only the new disks in the new PC.

(4) Move the files from the old drive pool to the new drive pool. Drivepool will automatically distribute the files over the disks in the new drive pool.

(5) When complete, the old drive pool should be empty, so delete that pool, disconnect the disks, and re-install them in the old PC.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

13 hours ago, thestillwind said:

You can transfer your data with robocopy or rsync from one server to an other.

Thank you for the suggestion, but copying the data is not the problem -- a simple XCOPY will do this. If "P:" is the drive pool on the old PC, and "N:" is the drive pool on the new PC, then the following command will copy the contents of the pool:

xcopy p:\*.* n:\*.* /h /y /k /s /e /r /v

with appropriate values for the /EXCLUDE option to exclude folders such as "System Volume Information" and the various recycle bins. But this requires two Drivepool licences. I think that ROBOCOPY and RSYNC would also require two Drivepool licences.

14 hours ago, thestillwind said:

You can use the trial version (30 days) to do so, which include the full version of the software.

That had not occurred to me. I suppose that the trial version of the software is linked to the PC on which it is installed, and not to the user who installs it. (I used the trial version on the old PC before deciding to purchase a licence, so if the trial version can be installed only once per user, I am out of luck.)

On 3/21/2022 at 12:05 AM, crankycowboy said:

It seems like there isn't a lot of activity on this forum anymore like there was when I initially started using these products. I'm wondering if I should consider another route with so few users utilizing this software anymore.  I really would appreciate some input if someone had some suggestions.

Funny that. I imagined it was because for most users, DP simply works.

Anyway, AFAIK, use of trial versions is easy. Moreover, IIRC, if you deactivate a license, DP will still work, just not write to the Pool.