What is the m/o if you need to recreate a drive (for example to increase cluster size) but have data present?

klepp0906

So using my previous example(s) based on my other posts figuring this thing out... lets say I have 1TB of files in my dropbox cloud drive.  I want to expand the drive whether it be via cluster size or chunk size or whathaveyou.  

its become I can only change these upon drive creation.  How do i "sync up" the data from the cloud drive i'd be destroying to the new one i'd be creating?  

is it something like

1) create new cloud drive with preferred chunk/sector

2) move old files to new cloud-xxx-xxx-xxx folder on new drive

3) destroy old drive

On 3/12/2022 at 1:10 AM, klepp0906 said:

1) create new cloud drive with preferred chunk/sector

2) move old files to new cloud-xxx-xxx-xxx folder on new drive

3) destroy old drive

Yeah, this would be the best/simplest option, as you'd need to move the data off of the drive anyways, to change the cluster or sector size. 

9 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yeah, this would be the best/simplest option, as you'd need to move the data off of the drive anyways, to change the cluster or sector size. 

@Christopher (Drashna) Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that break the drive? As far as I understood it, klepp meant to move the chunk/data files from the old cache drive and/or from the cloud drive's Dropbox folder (StableBit CloudDrive Data (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx)) to the new one. But the data/chunk files are not compatible with a new chunk/sector size, of course, so this would break the drive. The described procedure works for DrivePools, because they store files natively, but not for CloudDrives.

For changing the technical guts of your cloud drive you have to create a new drive, and then just regularly move/sync your files from the mounted old cloud drive to the new one (afaik).

Mind by the way, that you can easily expand the drive's volume size just via the GUI. You wouldn't need to fiddle with the chunk size nor copy your data anywhere just to increase the drive's overall size. Chunk size and sector size are technical parameters how the data is stored behind the scenes, but independent of your cloud drive's volume size.

correct. 

Some of the drive "geometry" can't be changed after it's been created.  You would have to destroy the drive and recreate it to change those settings.

Also, some of it can be changed, but the process is dangerous or requires reformatting.  So it may be simpler to just recreate, since you could have both running at the same time.