Will a second license allow cross-access in the same provider?

klepp0906

Question

Let me explain.  I use 2 pc's in perpetuity.  when I rebuild the first, it becomes the secondary, the secondary goes to my kids or the spare parts closet etc.  I take the image from the "current" first and restore it to the "new current" i build, and at that point, the "new secondary" does its own thing and needs its own backups.  

I just set up clouddrive on my main pc as a means to ship macrium backups to the cloud since macrium cannot back-up to dropbox directly (at least not on your system drive).  I want to be able to do this on the secondary as well.  

If something were to happen to the secondary and I needed access to the cloud backup for it, could i get to it on my main pc?  If they both had cloud drive installed, and they both had their own license, and assuming they can both connect to the same dropbox account etc.   could one pc see the others data in dropbox and pull it down/decrypt it for use? 

If the answers are yes, how does that appear in the dropbox folder? would i see on the opposing pc a second apps/stablebit clouddrive/cloudpart-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx folder in my dropbox folder?

3 answers to this question

I think the FAQ answers this, actually.

Q. Can I create multiple cloud drives on the same cloud provider?

Yes you can. You can create as many cloud drives as you want on the same cloud provider, using the same login or a different login for each drive.

You can give each drive a unique name in order to help you easily identify it later. Each new cloud drive always starts out empty.

Q. Can I mount the same cloud drive on multiple computers at the same time?

No, you can't. Each cloud drive can only be attached to one computer at a time. You can easily detach a cloud drive from one computer and attach it to another at any time using the StableBit CloudDrive user interface.

The folder structure would probably look like you described. Your Dropbox would be populated with multiple cloud drive folders, distinguishable by ID. I don't use Dropbox myself, but with multiple "local disk" CloudDrives in the same location it looks like this:

grafik.png.4db6582a5e19ded34d13b2288a2cc440.png

thanks for that, appears i skimmed too fast.  I knew i could have several connections to the same provider - however I was unsure if it was possible from the same account.  that answers that.

as for the other portion, i did know you couldn't mount the same drive on multiple computers but I was unsure of exactly what "same" meant hence the confusion.  It would be a different drive, probably the same letter but created on another computer using the same cloud service provider and account.  

I just wanted to know whether or not I could access the data put forth by the other if need be.  in a disaster scenario like being  unable to access the other pc. 

5 hours ago, klepp0906 said:

as for the other portion, i did know you couldn't mount the same drive on multiple computers but I was unsure of exactly what "same" meant hence the confusion.  It would be a different drive, probably the same letter but created on another computer using the same cloud service provider and account.  

I just wanted to know whether or not I could access the data put forth by the other if need be.  in a disaster scenario like being  unable to access the other pc. 

Yes, you can access it and force attach it in case the other computer will not access it anymore. I think the license doesn't matter in this case. Your license is just about how many computer you can run CloudDrive on; it's independent from the number of providers or cloud drives at a certain provider or logins or whatever.

If you connect to any provider that has cloud drives on it (from any computer, from any license), you will see what StableBit cloud drives exactly are at that location. And then it's up to you which one to attach to, detach from, or force attach, in case of disaster. Read this section of the manual and especially take a look at the screenshots, I think they will give you the impression you need: https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Reattaching your Drive