Migrating from WHSv1; Backups take more space?

jrronimo

Question

Greetings all!

I am currently in the process of migrating from a WHSv1 server to a WHS2011 + DrivePool server.

My WHSv1 setup had 4 HDDs: 1 x 500 GB, 2 x 1 TB and 1 x 2 TB. It happily backed up 4 computers and served as a NAS with lots of duplication.

In my move to WHS2011, I have done the following:

- Installed 3 x 1 TB HDDs

- Installed WHS2011 to the first drive

- Added the remainder of the partition and the other two drives to a DrivePool

- Moved the WHS folders to the Pool and enabled duplication (2x) for most things

- moved the Client Computer Backups into the DrivePool, no duplication

- Enabled backups on my main gaming rig (around 2.5 TB total space) and a second computer just for kicks (120 GB)

I will be moving the 2 TB HDD from the v1 machine to the 2011 machine, but I needed to get enough data moved off the old server so as to be able to remove the drive; I just haven't done this yet.

Is it just me, or did backups in WHSv1 take up less space than they do in WHS2011? Or is this a side-effect of me putting the Client Computer Backups in the DrivePool? I seem to be using much more space on the new server than the old as it is, which is frustrating, but not impossible to deal with. Obviously I need more hard drives, but who doesn't? :)

3 answers to this question

Actually, the client computer backup database on WHSv1 was not duplicated! At all. There was a registry hack to enable it.... but it was officially unsupported. .....

But as for a size difference, that's more than possible. Since there was a significant overhaul to the backup engine between v1 and WHS2011.... I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed using up more space.

My backup database is from WHS2011 originally (and has been running nearly that long without issue) and is up to about 1TB in size). Though I do have a lot of changing data.

I think part of the problem was just not having enough hard drive space total. Shortly after I posted this, I moved that 2 TB drive into the new server and let it rebalance... automagically (and several hours later) I had 1.8 TB available again, woo! It'd be a bummer if my backups are going to take up tons more space, but I've been wanting an excuse to buy WD Red drives anyway, so I guess this could be it, heh.

Well, depending on the placement, it is possible that some of that was "unusable for duplication space". If it was, that would definitely account for that. (can be seen in the UI).

And as for the drives.... well, one of the forum users over at Home Server Show is selling 3x 4TB WD "SE" drives (enterprise) disks for $500. That's ~$166 per disk. That's about on par with the WD Reds or Seagate NAS disks, price wise. May be worth at least checking out.