Long time DrivePool and Scanner customer. Just bought and setup StableBit Cloud

dsteinschneider

Our business provides IT support to small businesses. Mostly we follow the managed services model where clients pay a fixed monthly for ongoing service. We now require both workstation and server cloud backup. I started years ago with CrashPlan and still have clients using it for real time backup. I've been using Backblaze for several years for all workstation backups. I discovered CrashPlan when it was just a software company that could backup between locations. I found Backblaze when I was researching hard drive reliability and came across their reports. 

I've been using StableBit DrivePool and Scanner since the WHS2011 days to provide redundant JBOD storage. I'm very happy I found this pair of products - I think running them is superior to NAS offerings such as Synology and QNAP. Our clients who use NAS products have not had as good results storage wise as we have using the StableBit suite. It's very comforting to know the drives are being checked - it's easy to swap them out when problems develop. 

I've also supported DriveHQ and JungleDisk for clients. Now we have Office 365 OneDrive and GoogleDrive. Most of our clients like to operate from a "virtual drive" with a drive letter. It's familiar and makes use simple. I haven't had great results mapping to OneDrive.  We ran into issues with linked spreadsheets in Excel on JungleDisk. DriveHQ had issues with file locking. We also use products ourselves first to find out what works and doesn't. 

I just setup StableBit Cloud and signed up for BackBlaze B2 and created a 10GB drive to get started. I will be testing the drive to see how it works as a business drive. I'm curious if any forum members have used it this way. My current use of StableBit DrivePool and Scanner has been for storing my personal media. I suspect that is how people are looking at StableBit Cloud, I will be testing how streaming works from it. Our connection is fiber 500 up/down and could be increased to 1000 for not much more monthly cost. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did mean to say CloudDrive as you pointed out. A few years back I setup the Cloud notification service. I get an email when drives go offline in our DrivePool (happens once in a while if a Probox doesn't come back on after a power failure). I think that service is morphing into StableBit Cloud which also helps you keep up to date and reports more detail on the status of the drives. 

• 8 months later...

hey Dsteinschneider - how has your testing gone, and have you deployed this stack to any clients?? I'm interested in your first-hand experience supporting a client using this.

I am evaluating technologies like this to support small businesses also and would love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to message me directly if that is an option here (can't recall).

Cheers