Fill above vs Or this much free space? conflicting? priority?

klepp0906

Question

So i'm trying to understand the settings a bit better to determine how much/far i need to deviate from the defaults if at all.   this is especially important to me as balancing can have a severe impact on the viability of snapraid which im postponing my first sync  until I have it sorted and fully understand the implications of my settings within drivepool. 

Many of the plugins offer the option to not fill a drive past xxx %.   Its pretty universally accepted not to fill drives beyond 90% and i believe thats the default anyways.  90% applies to 16TB disks, and it applies to 8tb disks.   keep 10% free for optimal functioning/health etc. 

Drivepool itself gives an example surrounding the aforementioned settings that i'm failing to grasp.  
"Try not to fill a drive above 90%" which is easy and ideal.   The wrench gets thrown in when right below it says "Or this much free space" which is set to 100GB by default.   Now on the overwhelming majority of disks these days, 100GB is going to be well under 10%.   Even the example "setting 90%/full 100gb free on a 2tb drive will preven it from being filled beyond 1.9TB (100gb free) which again, is well over the 10% free set above.

What am i failing to understand?  Its evident that the "or this much free space" takes priority, as 10% on a 2TB disk would be leaving 200GB free.   Why is having this checked the default though?   That would be filling disks to the absolute brim in most cases.

I assume most would want this option unchecked or?   I'm just trying to better understand the pros/cons/implications.

1 answer to this question

The 100gb has been there for a long while, TBH.  And that's been the default for it since the start.  And by a long while, I mean since the DrivePool v1 days> (so ~2011).   Eg, back when drives rating in TBs were at the high end, for the most part. 

You and disable the option or set it to something more reasonable for your setup.   But it sounds like unchecking it may be what you want here.