Unhealthy disk - my bad

Jim

Question

OK, so one of my Sata cable broke off while my server was on, and I tried plugging it back in while the server was on. I finally had to put in a new cable. The disk is fine and I can browse files etc. 

Now I am seeing a stable bit error that the disk is facing eminent failure. I ignored the warning but It is still showing as unhealthy. Will this error eventually go away? Can I reset it somehow?

5 answers to this question

Depends on the error here. And I'm assuming this is for StableBit Scanner.

If it's "damaged", as in it found bad sectors (and not SMART warnings):

1. Find the disk in question
  2. Click on the "+" on the left-hand side of the disk.
  3. There should be a column of buttons on the left side. The forth one should have a green circle with a yellow arrow in it. Click on that.
  4. A menu should pop up, and select "Mark all damaged sectors as unchecked" option.

That will clear it, and cause StableBit Scanner to rescan that section (as per the normal scan rules).

If it's a SMART error, well, open SMART details and there should be an "Ignore" button. You can ignore just the current value (will come back if it increases) or you can permanently ignore that value.

But if it's a SMART error, what specific value is it?

There are a number of values that could be, but it's more likely caused by the bad cable.

And to get it to clear/ignore this working, select the disk, select "SMART Details" and click on the "ignore" button. I'd recommend selecting the "ignore current warning", so that if it increases, you'll be notified.