Truth to drivepool leaving empty folders?

klepp0906

Question

So I’ve been trying to even BEGIN creating my pool for at least a week now.  Between questions, contingencies, planning, paths, I feel like I’ll never get there.  Now I’ve come up against another one that sounds awful!

i have over 100tb of data on about 12 drives that’s going to “potentially” need to be balanced across 24 drives.  Eons I’m sure.  Still it’ll be background I guess and apart from keeping my drives spinning in perpetuity for what will probably be a few months, it’s the price of admission.  I should have done this years ago. 

one thing standing out as a problem though.  I’ve noticed a few people complaining folders are left when drivepool moves things.   Is this true?   That seems absolutely absurd and problematic.  Sounds to me like it moves the files within instead of simply moving the folder itself?   Or am I understanding incorrectly?

5 answers to this question

I had Drivepool in use since approx. 2013.  I've never noticed that happening.  If I move a folder, it disappears from the source once every file is moved . The ONLY issue I have, and it isn't really a Drivepool problem, Is that sometimes network updates are slow to catch up.

Ex. If I move a bunch of files to/from a networked pool to a local drive, Windows Explorer still sees 'ghost' files for a while (but can't actually access them!).  I've found that creating a folder or file, then deleting it, will refresh the networked folder.  I added a button to my file manager that does that when needed.

7 hours ago, klepp0906 said:

one thing standing out as a problem though.  I’ve noticed a few people complaining folders are left when drivepool moves things.   Is this true?   That seems absolutely absurd and problematic.  Sounds to me like it moves the files within instead of simply moving the folder itself?   Or am I understanding incorrectly?

It can leave empty folders, especially if you're aggressively rebalancing the pool.  

That said, the folders may not actually be empty.  Hidden files, for instance, may reside in the folders and not get balanced away.  Also, there are alternate data streams that are used for duplication settings, so the folders may be empty, but they have settings tagged onto them.

thank you for the reply.   exactly what i need, more to think about :P  I aaaaalmost thought I was decided on one big pool, then someone made me reconsider several smaller pools. 

I had assumed snapraid was limited to a single pool with a parity drive.  apparently that is not the case.  you can use a parity drive against several pools.  decisions decisions.

oh yea, i do intend to run 2 for now.  even though that seems to be conservative considering i'll be covering 24 disks.   My concern is whether for example..

say i have those 2 parity drives and I make a single big pool.   I now have coverage for 2 failures. 

say I have those same 2 parity drives but I make 2 separate pools.  I now either have coverage for 1 failure from each pool, or still 2 failures irrespective of pool.  I'm trying to determine how that works but theres not a lot of info out there in that regard.