server 2022 storage bus cache

clonea1

Question

8 answers to this question

o boy, and the only way i can reproduce it for you is to nuke a 60TB of storage ....

software defined

so on server 2022 you can layer a flash devices as a cache device and bind it to a spindle.  so if you have say 16 spindles and 4 SSD's those 4 SSDS will bind to 4 hdd's each and they will serve as a write buffer and/or read cache.  the problem i had when i tried to configure this  when i went to add the drive to a pool it would 'add' but not really add and just hang, i wish i took some logs from back then darn it 

i also may be miss remembering specific details.

unfortunately to build the test case is a destructive process :(

i do have all my binding setup currently, maybe i can generate some vdisks but i dont think that was the scenario i was doing originally 

ok here is the repo it evently goes green on the add bar but the pool doesnt get created and the ssd temp that i was trying to add gets its add button back 

and if you click add again it then gives a error saying you cant add it to the same pool already

image.thumb.png.60e1a5dfea7564079d88bca28d3f2159.png

DrivePool.Service-2022-02-23.log DrivePool.CoveFs.etl ErrorReport_2022_02_23-11_47_48.0.saencryptedreport ErrorReport_2022_02_23-11_59_15.3.saencryptedreport

ok so some more details if i do a get physical disk it has a drive id of 500~ this means that windows this its a bus cache participant either target or cache 

PS V:\> Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName *cove*

Number FriendlyName             SerialNumber                           MediaType   CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage       Size
------ ------------             ------------                           ---------   ------- ----------------- ------------ -----       ----
534    COVECUBE CoveFsDisk_____ {1030eff7-2ab2-4627-aef3-0da89a10773c} Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 2 TB

and when i try to disable the disk to make it non eligible for storage bus i get a error that its the wrong type of disk to even be eligible in the first place 

PS V:\> Get-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName *cove* | Disable-StorageBusDisk
Exception setting "BusType": "Cannot convert value "File Backed Virtual" to type "Microsoft.Windows.Storage.Core.BusType". Error: "Unable to match the identifier name File Backed Virtual to 
a valid enumerator name. Specify one of the following enumerator names and try again:
Unknown, Scsi, Atapi, Ata, IEEE1394, Ssa, Fibre, Usb, RAID, iScsi, Sas, Sata, Sd, Mmc, Virtual, FileBackedVirtual, Spaces, Nvme, SCM, Ufs, Max""
At C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\StorageBusCache\StorageBusCache.psm1:1233 char:13
+             $devices[$deviceGuid].BusType = $phyDisk.BusType
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], SetValueInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionWhenSetting

you wont be able to repo this in hyperv unless you do full disk mounting, as a VMDK disk in hyper v is also not eligable so you may need to test on physical hardware, or mark a bunch of drives as offline on the hyperv host and then do direct full mounts on the virtual machine

then its as simple as bring those disks in to server 2022 and fresh virgin disks then do enable-storagebuscache  it will enumerate eligable disks and create a new storagebuscache storage space pool and will bind your SSDs to HDDS, so your test case will need to have both.  then you can create some virtual disks  and then try to add them to drive pool

PS V:\> New-Volume -StoragePoolFriendlyName storagebus -MediaType ssd -FriendlyName ssdtemp -Size 1gb -ProvisioningType Fixed -DriveLetter y -FileSystem ReFS

DriveLetter FriendlyName FileSystemType DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining    Size
----------- ------------ -------------- --------- ------------ ----------------- -------------    ----
Y           ssdtemp      ReFS           Fixed     Healthy      OK                      6.93 GB 7.94 GB

PS V:\> New-Volume -StoragePoolFriendlyName storagebus -MediaType hdd -FriendlyName hddtemp -Size 1gb -ProvisioningType Fixed -DriveLetter w -FileSystem ReFS

DriveLetter FriendlyName FileSystemType DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining    Size
----------- ------------ -------------- --------- ------------ ----------------- -------------    ----
W           hddtemp      ReFS           Fixed     Healthy      OK                      6.93 GB 7.94 GB