Parity in the cards in the future?

klepp0906

Question

So the last thread I found that addressed this was in 2019.  Just curious if any more time and thought has been given to the idea?  I’m getting ready to use drivepool the first time.  While planning things out the biggest issue for me is parity as I simply can’t accommodate mirroring.  

I know snapraid exists and will have to make use of it in the interim but I’d prefer it built into drivepool 100x over. 

Is there hope or should I give up and let go of the dream? :p

5 answers to this question

that is definitely a solid point.   On one hand I feel like it is kind of married and central to a jbod software, on the other i can certainly see the wisdom in what youre saying.  alternatives do exist that do function, and while not as polished or as intuitive as a solution here would/could be... finite time, resources, manpower and most importantly vision for the software... i get it.

be all the jbod you can be.. or be less jbod but add parity :P ala jack of all trades master of none etc.

Yup, exactly.  

Also, while 1:1 duplication is more expensive, in terms of storage space, you don't suffer performance penalties for accessing that data when you do have a failed drive.  Parity solutions mean that either it's simply not accessible until a rebuild is finished, or that any access has to rebuild that data on the fly, as a non-insignaificant performance penalty. 

Also, parity support adds complexity, as parity calculations have to be made at some point.  And since we prefer any protection to be done in realtime, that means in the kernel, most likely.  And that's just about the most expensive place to run that, from a system standpoint.