Is there any way to automatically re-add a drive to a pool after unlocking/decrypting it?

p3dal

Question

I've decided that I want to split my pool into two so I can have one pool of encrypted drives and one pool of unencrypted drives. I've started by removing one drive from the pool, encrypting it with bitlocker, then adding it to a new pool. 

After restarting, (and entering the password to unlock the drive) I found that both the pool was gone and drivepool no longer saw the drive at all. After reading some of the threads out there I figured that drivepool might detect the drive if I restarted the service, and after a few minutes the service came back up and detected the drives, but I'm looking for a way to not have to restart the service every time I restart the computer. 

I suspect from reading the threads that there is a way to automatically unlock the drive based on encrypting the OS, but that's actually opposite of what I want to accomplish. I want to ensure that this computer, should it ever be stolen, will not automatically decrypt these drives, as it is currently already set to automatically login, so my remote access software will work. 

Is there any way to ensure that drivepool detects my bitlock-ed drive after I unlock it, without restarting the service? or is restarting the service the only way to ensure drivepool detects it and adds it back to the pool? I don't even mind the extra steps so much as it makes me nervous to rely on something that feels like a workaround. 

1 answer to this question