computer loop in welcome screen after updating drivepool

amanteka

Question

i updated drivepool tonight and after the program asked for restart, the computer loops in the welcome screen for ever, it never boot completely. only a system restore from safe mode is the only mode to recover my pc, but after that, the old drivepool program no longer works. any advice?

7 answers to this question

Amanteka,

What version of DrivePool were you using, and which were you upgrading to?

And what OS are you using?

And was this BSODing at the welcome screen? Or was this a normal reboot, or a sudden reboot?

Also, would you mind doing this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q3017479

version working correctly: 2.0.0.420

upgrading to: 2.1.0.558

not BSOD, just Welcome screen with the orb and nothing more for more than 30 minutes

thanks for the link, i'll try that later and keep you informed

thanks!

EDIT: that upgrade was offered thru the taskbar notifications, i will try to install 2.1.1.561 using the link's instructions

Could you get a memory dump of the system when it's doing this?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

And you may need to enter safe mode, and copy the "MEMORY.DMP" file off of the C:\ drive before restoring.

Also, if you wouldn't mind testing it: set the "StableBit DrivePool Service"'s startup type to "manual". You may need to do this in safe mode.

And once you've done that, please stay on 2.0.0.420 until we can isolate what's going on here.

Also, are you using any antivirus software on the system?

i tried to create a memory dump numerous times using the steps provided, but after using the keyboard keys and the system restarted, there is no dump anywhere. found out if i use the option to run StableBit DrivePool Service manually, the system starts without any problem. then, after starting the service manually, i can perform measuring and balance on the pools, but, if i set it to automatic again and restart the system, the problem starts over again. i know that without a dump is imposible to pinpoint the problem, but i think that the problem resides within the driver drivepool installs, in one of the tests the driver installed itself after the restart of the system, then, the problem arises. i need more time to continue with the tests, it takes me almost 3 hours everytime i tried this. maybe a fresh install of windows 7 can be the only solution, but for now i can't do that. i think that i have an image of the system from the first time i install it without drivepool, but is more than 2 years old. i have avast! internet security as my antivirus, but never tried to install drivepool with the antivirus disabled, i will try it the next time, maybe after midnight tonight. thanks for all your help!

Ah, Avast.....

I hate to say this, but we've had a lot of issues with Avast lately. Including when testing on a clean system.

More than likely, the issue is being caused because Avast doesn't like something that the StableBit DrivePool Service is doing.

I would recommend, at the very least, exclude "C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\DrivePool.Service.EXE" from being scanned, as well as the pooled disks.

Though, I would highly recommend uninstalling Avast. That should fix the issue immediately.