Replaced my HBA card, now some drives are marked missing

PredatorAlpha

Question

So I had to replace an HBA card the drives were attached to and upon starting back up, some of the drives were showing missing. They were under the Non-Pooled so i just added them then removed the ones marked "missing." Now they are grey and I'm guessing all the files that are on them still are, they just aren't working correctly. Anyone know how to get all this back to normal? First prob with DrivePool in 3 years! 

image.thumb.png.fd143fcb91437db195a961d27a8a1cef.png

3 answers to this question

Well "grey" means "Other" files, so the pool definitely doesn't recognize the files as part of the pool. So probably a random portion of your files are now apparently missing from your pool when you browse for them via the pool drive letter, while physically they still should be there on the disks (in a hidden "PoolPart" folder).

Because you manually "removed" the missing disks from the pool (via GUI), I guess you cannot just make DrivePool recognize them again in an easy way. But as all your files should still be there, you may be fine by just seeding (moving) them from the old "PoolPart" folder to the new "PoolPart" folder, on each of the "grey" drives. Like if you were migrating files from some other folder on those disks to the pool without copying them. The procedure is described here:
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Anyway, if you want to be on the safe side, maybe open a support ticket or wait til Chris or someone who was experiencing that problem answers here.

Edit: It also doesn't explain why the disks artifically went missing from the pool in first place.

Edited by Jonibhoni

Just a heads up, some HBAs can mess with the partitioning information.  It's rare, but not unheard of. 

if you haven't already, try remeasuring the pool.  If that doesn't fix the issue, run a CHKDSK pass on the disks in question.

Also, make sure that each of the disks has a hiddle "poolpart.xxxxx" folder in the root of the drive.