Essentials 2016 and Client Backup folder

Chris Sykes

Question

Hello, I have been running drive pool for a good few years and im running this on a Server 2016 Essentials server to pool 4x drives together. As my client Backups are over 2TB in size I ideally want to duplicate the Client Backup folder to reduce the risk of loosing data if I have a drive failure. As such the majority of time I run duplication on the Client Backup folder, however when the client backups get into a hissy fit its near impossible to run the repair backup tool. 

To get round this I saw a fix a few years back that involved the process of un-duplicating the client backup folder, then running the tool again. Once the database was repaired re-duplicating the folder. This seems to always work perfectly OK, however each time this is done I'm putting my backup data at risk. 

Has anyone else seen this and fixed this issue?

4 answers to this question

I can't remember when I had to run the repair backup tool last, I *think* that was when I was running WHS2011.

One question though: Do you make actual backups, e.g. do you run Server Backup as well? Cause if you do, then there is no issue deduplicating client backups temporarily or even definitively (if up-time is nit that high of a priority).

Duplication isn't backup and that becomes clear when you have to run the repair tool to bring things back.