SSD not being used for new files.

phhowe17

Question

I have a pool with three disks + and SSD.  The disks are marked as archive and the SSD is marked as SSD.  File duplication is enabled, there are no file placement rules.  The duplication space optimizer is enabled. Ordered file placement plug-in is not enabled. File duplication is enabled at the pool level.  Real-time duplication is enabled, but I don't see this activity in the performance section.  Windows 10 task manager only shows one disk in the pool active at any time.

See  https://imgur.com/NBusKnJ for configuration.

How do I get the SSD to be used?

https://imgur.com/NBusKnJhttps://imgur.com/NBusKnJ

8 answers to this question

Hi, check the "Notes" on the SSD optimizer plugin on:
https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

It says...

* If you are using duplicated files, then you should specify multiple SDD disks or else the system will fall back 
  to an Archive disk for one or more of the file parts.

That's probably your case, isn't it?

I'm not using SSD optimizer myself, but I think in reality it isn't even just "one or more" but "all" of the file parts. Means: Nothing is stored on SSD until you have at least as many SSDs as you want file duplicates (2x duplication = 1 original + 1 copy = 2 SSDs needed). I think there were also some topics on the forum where this behaviour was discussed; feel free to search if you are curious for more.

I think I have it working with a single SSD drive as cache.

1. Turn off pool duplication

2. Turn on Folder duplication. Set duplication on top level folders, which includes any subfolders.

3. Turn off Real-time duplication.

This allows a new files to be written to the cache. The pool will eventually re-balance and move the files to other drives in the pool, emptying the cache SSD.  I was able to see the in-use figure drop on the cache and task manager showed mostly reads from the cache and writes to archive disks once files stopped being added to the pool.

Hi. I have the exact same problem. I am running a pool with two sub pools, one for archive disks and one with ssd's. I don't understand why Drivepool wants to empty the SSD Pool completely. There is no activity on this pool and all files are placed on the archive pool. Turning off the SSD Optimizer stops this behavior but then files are not placed on the ssd's first.  The files currently on the SSD Pool are not moved because of File placement rules. The 860 Pro is for Hyper-V machines only and do not allow placement of any other folders. What am I doing wrong here... Help is appreciated 🙂 Thanks.

Settings.png

SSD Optimizer.png

Hi Roger, are you saying that with your current settings:

1. files are never going onto the drives marked "SSD" in the SSD Optimizer plugin (except per the File Placement rules you've set)?
    • you should tick "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."
  2. files do go to the drives marked "SSD" in the SSD Optimizer plugin but are then being emptied faster than you'd prefer?
    • the SSD Optimizer doesn't exclude files that would be prevented from being moved due to File Placement rules when calculating whether it should empty the "SSD" drives, so perhaps try lowering the balance ratio (maybe even to zero) and increasing the "at least this much data" value to compensate?
  3. something else?

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Hi Roger, are you saying that with your current settings:

1. files are never going onto the drives marked "SSD" in the SSD Optimizer plugin (except per the File Placement rules you've set)?
    • you should tick "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins."
  2. files do go to the drives marked "SSD" in the SSD Optimizer plugin but are then being emptied faster than you'd prefer?
    • the SSD Optimizer doesn't exclude files that would be prevented from being moved due to File Placement rules when calculating whether it should empty the "SSD" drives, so perhaps try lowering the balance ratio (maybe even to zero) and increasing the "at least this much data" value to compensate?
  3. something else?

I am saying that it is like in example 1. When placing files in folders only on the the SSD Pool the files are stored on the SSD Pool. When placing files in folders that are on both the SSD Pool and the Archive Pool they are always placed on the Archive Pool. When ticking "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins." files are placed on the SSD Pool. With this ticked, will the VMs stay on the 860 Pro no matter what? ...or can files be placed on the 860 Pro if a balancer plugin chooses to do so?

3 hours ago, Roger79 said:

When ticking "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins." files are placed on the SSD Pool. With this ticked, will the VMs stay on the 860 Pro no matter what? ...or can files be placed on the 860 Pro if a balancer plugin chooses to do so?

The "real-time file placements set by the balancing plug-ins" only refers to new files, not files that are already on the pool.

In short there are two types of placements that can be done by the balancing plug-ins: real-time and on-balancing. The SSD Optimizer can do both: it wants to place new files in the "SSD" drives, which it does in real-time, and place existing files in the "Archive" drives, which it does when balancing is triggered. If the above option is ticked, its real-time placement has priority over the File Placement rules; if the above is not ticked, the File Placement rules have priority over its real-time placement.

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Balancing Settings

If you haven't already, could you see how it reacts if you set the automatic balancing trigger balance ratio to 0% and the automatic balancing trigger data limit to... say... 650 GB?

It's also possible the SSD Optimizer will still want to empty it to zero but when the balancing actually runs it's only then that it sees there's actually nothing to move due to the File Placement rules butting in and going "nope, not moving that".