Just..."Wow!" ;)

Breeze

Question

I recently moved to WHS 2011 and knew about DrivePool, found out about Scanner, and bought the one machine license for both. I've been spending more time with DrivePool getting things organized.

I put a new disk in WHS yesterday and discovered that Scanner can read the SMART data through one of the SATA chipsets on the motherboard that for years I'd given up on; none of the diagnostic tools I used in the past could see it. Then I discovered the shortcuts at the bottom of the Scanner window disclosing everything we'd like to know (or not!) about the drives...

I just want to say that you've done an amazing job with Scanner; it's a far, far deeper program than the opening GUI initially suggests. Very comprehensive and I can definitely see a place for it on conventional workstations. Kudos!

7 answers to this question

Thank you very much for the kind words!

And as for Scanner reading the SMART data... Well, I know that a number of tools (such as CPUID's Hardware Monitor) only read from "ATA" devices. It doesn't read for "SCSI" devices at all, which means that it doesn't read for pretty much any add-in cards, or some secondary onboard chipsets. And yeah, I agree, that's frustrating.

And we're glad that you appreciate all the detailed information that we gather and display about the drives in the system. And IIRC, we plan on adding some more to that soon.

Also, something else that you may like: Try right clicking on the column headers in StableBit Scanner. You can add a lot more info the the main screen as well. I personally like adding the performance, disk queue and temp columns as well.

And you can sort by controller, or by "case" (so you can group your drives, based on their location).

Also, something else that you may like: Try right clicking on the column headers in StableBit Scanner. You can add a lot more info the the main screen as well. I personally like adding the performance, disk queue and temp columns as well.

And you can sort by controller, or by "case" (so you can group your drives, based on their location).

This is in fact very useful. OK FR's:

- Another bit of data I'd like to be able to input manually and see shown is the warranty expiry date for each drive in the system.

- I also would like to see a details page listing the Overview from the Drive Details for all the drives on one page.

BTW, I put an old questionable drive in the system, got SMART warnings and an email advisory... yanked the drive out... this is just great.... ;)

Well, I believe that we are planning on adding the standard warranty period to the disk details. Not quite the same as what you want... but better, IMO. This is because the warranty period is based on manufacturing time and not when you bought it.  

You mean like the disk details page, but for ALL the disks in the system?

Well, I believe that we are planning on adding the standard warranty period to the disk details. Not quite the same as what you want... but better, IMO. This is because the warranty period is based on manufacturing time and not when you bought it.  

You mean like the disk details page, but for ALL the disks in the system?

Actually, the warranty can be re-adjusted to the purchase date (I've done this many times with WD drives). Also when a drive gets replaced on warranty, the warranty deadline can sometimes be changed and in some cases extended. This is why I think this should be a user managed field.

Only the OVERVIEW section of the Details page; and yes for ALL the disks in the system.

I love scanner too.  Not as much as I love Drive Pool though.

When I first installed scanner I thought it was a nice package, for what it was - A SMART monitoring program. A really nice one at that.

Where it REALLY shines is when used in conjunction with Drive Pool.  That's when the game changes and things get really impressive.

Hmmm.. I'm wondering if from a marketing perspective there's a place for a combined program. (I'm probably thinking about it because I just went to purchase a 12 license copy of Drive Pool and I was looking for the option of buying a 12 count of both at the same time.)

I'm honestly surprised Microsoft hasn't caught on to this little GEM of code and sent the developers and their support team a fat check.

It would make a great feature baked into the OS...Simply right click on a drive and select 'POOL."  Of course it would suck after that so the deal would have to include positions at Microsoft for one or two of the original Covecube developers.   :D

Ok, sorry for semi-derailing the thread and babbling.  Keep up the great work guys.

-RF

Well, we do have the combo purchase. But aside from that, no, there are no plans on combining the programs.

We'd rather keep them separate, because they do serve very different goals. And some people just want Scanner on their systems (such as for a desktop or tablet, or even HTPC) and don't need DrivePool on it. And some don't want to use StableBit Scanner (or have issues with it) and/or prefer using a different tool. 

But we absolutely appreciate your love of our products, and your enthusiasm!

Very true...but you are talking all logical-like. Sometimes logic has no place when it comes to marketing. 

Ever check out the IMTOO suite? (and however many other brands they have) Talk about repackaging code... It's insane. http://www.imtoo.com/products-win.html

I understand your point though. Your products are geared more towards people that would just use Handbrake instead of anything above. I was really just thinking out loud. 

I was looking for a discounted 12/12 bundle of both DP and scanner.  B)

I do need another install key for DP immediately though so I'm going to go snatch the 12 bundle now before you guys raise prices. This software is way too cheap.  :)

Thanks!!

-RF