needslipo

Question

I tried to install the SSD Optimizer plug-in, but when I run the .exe I get the error message "StableBit DrivePool 2.X needs to be installed before installing this plug-in."

I have DrivePool 2.1.0.558 64 bit, on Windows 8 x64, and I used "DrivePool.SSDOptimizerPlugin.Setup_1.0.2.3_x64.msi" from the main website.

Any ideas?

12 answers to this question

Could you run the following command?

msiexec /i "C:\Path\to\DrivePool.SSDOptimizerPlugin.Setup_1.0.2.3_x64.msi" /L*V "C:\DrivePool.SSD.log"

And then attach the log here?

(changing the path for the installer)

Also, make sure that the "Archive Optimizer" balancer is not installed on the system.

Found a simple workaround: run it as Administrator.

Right-clicking on the .msi in Explorer doesn't bring up the Run as Administrator button, so I opened an Admin command prompt using ctrl+shift+enter in Start, and then ran it from there.

Found a simple workaround: run it as Administrator.

Right-clicking on the .msi in Explorer doesn't bring up the Run as Administrator button, so I opened an Admin command prompt using ctrl+shift+enter in Start, and then ran it from there.

That's odd. Normally, ti should prompt for Admin access after it starts running. That it was not doing that is very unusual.

That's odd. Normally, ti should prompt for Admin access after it starts running. That it was not doing that is very unusual.

Yeah, which is why I had a hunch that it'd work if I ran as Administrator: UAC wasn't showing up like it normally would.

Haven't had the same problem with any other installers on my machine, but considering no one's apparently complained about this in over six months, if it is a bug, it's probably going to be nigh impossible to repro anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately, this may be a very hard bug to reproduce. 

I've tried for about 20 minutes .... and the UAC prompt comes up every time.

So it may be an issue with the Windows Installer service, as this is what these installers use.

If you are able to reproduce the issue, get the logs (as listed above). 

I don't think Windows supports Run As Administrator for MSI files by default. You can hack it via RegEdit to allow it, but it doesn't come that way.

http://www.howtogeek.com/178826/how-to-force-an-msi-package-to-install-using-administrator-mode/

BTW, I'm on a fresh Windows 7 x64 install and was receiving the same error. Was able to get it installed via the elevated CMD line installer suggested.

Resurrecting an old question because I'm having the same issue.  Tried installing both the "Disk Space Equalizer" and the "Ordered File Placement" and get the error message "StableBit DrivePool 2.X needs to be installed before installing this plug-in." My Drivepool version says 2.2.3.1019.  Followed the directions above and attached the log file. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, I attempted to install it as Administrator.

DrivePool.log

Edited by Derek
Added Text