IBM M1015 + Seagate ST4000DM000

Abula

This a Seagate HDD 4TB ST4000DM000, running Direct I/O on Supermicro X9SCM-F-O on its sata II ports,

pj7g.png

Same drive now run on a IBM M1015 flashed to IT FW19 and Drivers 2.0.72.0

46ey.png

Wondering if Drive Scanner will work on the build? i see some reds still remain on the M1015 so just wondering if someone could tell me what to expect on the scanner once its setup?

Try it on the card, without selecting a specific method. Just select the "UnsafeDirectIo" option. 

If that gets the "SMART Attributes" in the "DirectIO" section, then you'll need to enable that option in the advanced settings:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Though, as I said in the other thread, it's odd that it may require the Unsafe directIO as I have a very similar card (m1115 flashed to IT but no management firmware) and I don't need this option, at all.

Thanks for the the reply Christopher, 

Try it on the card, without selecting a specific method. Just select the "UnsafeDirectIo" option. 

Even when clicking the "UnsafeDirectIO" and nothing else, not touching the method at all (its blank as you can see on the pic), but on the bottom it does display "Methods: ScsiPassthrough48".

sspg.png

Though, as I said in the other thread, it's odd that it may require the Unsafe directIO as I have a very similar card (m1115 flashed to IT but no management firmware) and I don't need this option, at all.

I do find it a little weird though, checking kihimcarr LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA, having all directio on checked green, but he is on 

Driver version: 2.0.60.2

Firmware version: 16.00.00.00

BIOS version: 07.31.00.00

Maybe i should re flash it to that....

Edit: I just rolled back to the original drivers that were installed by Windows Home Server 2011 (like the default ones), v2.0.2.71 released 2/20/2009, same results.... maybe i should reflash to older firmware like kihimcarr, but i do fine a little strange he is on older drivers even than the ones windows has, so he might be on WHSv1... idk.

Then it looks like you'll need to use the "UnsafeDirectIo" option.

And don't worry here. On a lot of controllers, enabling the option has had little impact, if any. It's just that SOME controllers do.

Please do enable it. If you see any issues after doing so, then definitely disable it. But I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't.

Also, just FYI, my card (in addition to being an m1115, which is virtually identical), uses the 2.0.60.83 drivers, and the 15.00.00.00 firmware.  No BIOS, as I didn't flash that (the management ROM)

And it passes on the data using "AtaPassThrough"

I tried to search for the spefic bios and firmware that  kihimcarr LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA, and found it, flashed fine, the only thing that i couldn't find is his drivers, they are older than the default on the WHS2011, so im guessing he is either on XP or WHSv1.  But sadly same results, same as the test above, could be the motherboard not allowing the passrthrough, but im not sure, either way its now 4 different bios/fw 3 different drivers, and still the same results, so i guess ill have to use the UnSafeDirectlo, i would have loved to have a card like yours and not have to resort to this, but thats life... =(

Well, the only thing I didn't do from that tutorial is flash the management rom. 

But to be honest, I was genuinely surprised by the fact that I didn't need to use the UnsafeDirectIo option.  But I was using a HighPoint RocketRAID card before, which did require it. And it ran fine, with no issues, no instability of the system or controller. So there really shouldn't be an issue.

Drashna,

Do i need to change anything else besides,

<setting name="UnsafeDirectIo" serializeAs="String">
                <value>False</value>

From "False" to "True" to enable the UnsSafeDirectIO? i see a lot of other things on the wikki, but since you did it before with the HighPoint, just wondering whats changes do you recommend/suggest to the Scanner.Service.exe

Yeah, that's the setting. It's the only thing you need to change.  Once you have, restart the service, and it should start grabbing all the SMART data.

That or use this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0krodbweqz1rrc4/Scanner.Service.exe.config

That's taken from my personal system (when I was using the HighPoint still) and will work.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, that's the setting. It's the only thing you need to change.  Once you have, restart the service, and it should start grabbing all the SMART data.

Very strange, i open the file with notepad, changed only the file in question with notepad, did the change and save it (just clicking save not saved as), and for an unknow reason it changed its properties and was not the same config file anymore, when i rebooted it didn't made any changes.

That or use this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0krodbweqz1rrc4/Scanner.Service.exe.config

That's taken from my personal system (when I was using the HighPoint still) and will work.

This did the trick, i just replaced the old file, and now i have Smart data, at least temperature is what im seeing atm running the scanner.  Not sure how to check if its reading all that needs to read from the smart data?

nhpu.png

yeah, unfortunately, sometimes manually editing the config file can be problematic.

And I'm glad that the file I posted works great for you.

As for telling if it worked or not, select one of the drives and click on the "S.M.A.R.T. details" link at the bottom. If it shows a list of information, you are good.

• 4 months later...

Chris,

I need some help again =(

I saw there was an update for the scanner, none beta, so i decided to update, and again i no longer can see the temperature, i thought your old config file was overwritten in the update so i did the overwriting again, and didn't worked this time, is there a new setup to do the unsafe direct IO?

All the advanced options are now in the UI and no longer use your old config file.  Go to Settings > Advanced settings and troubleshooting, then click the Configuration Properties tab, scroll down to Direct I/O, check Unsafe and click OK.  It should take effect after you have restarted the Stablebit Scanner service.

I actually had the same issue after the most recent Scanner update and had to do it in the UI.  It was the same config file I had been using forever.  I assumed that the file was no longer supported and did not investigate further since the settings are now in the UI, so I do not know whether the file was not importing or whether some of the options just were not being read properly.

Scanner should import the config file settings, but do try what otispresley describes.

All the advanced options are now in the UI and no longer use your old config file.  Go to Settings > Advanced settings and troubleshooting, then click the Configuration Properties tab, scroll down to Direct I/O, check Unsafe and click OK.  It should take effect after you have restarted the Stablebit Scanner service.

You my friend deserve a beer, too bad we are too far apart, but your solution was right and your posting very detail, i appreciate you took the time and share with me your experience, its working exactly as before, even better now i don't depend on an old config, now the UI works.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Very nice, glad it worked!  I will pretend that the next beer I drink is from you.   :)

You my friend deserve a beer, too bad we are too far apart, but your solution was right and your posting very detail, i appreciate you took the time and share with me your experience, its working exactly as before, even better now i don't depend on an old config, now the UI works.

Thanks again for the suggestion.