Lost a Folder & Cannot repair drive

Jim

Question

So I just installed Drivepool 1.x (latest) on my WHS2011 server as well as the plugin:Ordered File Placement 1.0.5.6 for StableBit DrivePool 1.X . Also Stablebit Scanner as well.

I added two New 4tb drives F: & H: and had drivepool format them and add them to the pool, and it created the drivepool at G:

•   I set the files to duplicate in real time
  • Under the Server Folders and Hard Drives --> Pool Tab -->Balancing I checked the bottom option Ordered File Placement option as it was not checked.
  • I created some users and folders and subfolders under the Documents Pictures folder a) FamilyPcNewPictures and B) OldPics
  • Then and I ran Robocopy from one of my PC's to start backing up Documents and pictures. It ran fine and backed up my docs and oldPics, It seemed to backup the FamilyPcNewPictures as well, but then I noticed the FamilyPcNewPictures folder was no longer under the pictures folder
  • Under windows explorer I tried to re-create the folder but it said the "This destination already contains a folder named FamilyPcNewPictures"  Do you want to merge folders - I said Yes, but the folder could still not be seen? I turned on viewing of hidden files but still no luck.

• Under the Server Folders and Hard Drives --> Hard Drives Tab I right clicked on the DrivePool G and ran Check and saw the following error that I tried to repair

The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
All NTFS boot sectors are unreadable or corrupt.  Cannot continue.

• I tried to run repair but got the msg "Cannot repair the hard drive... G hard drive is damaged and cannot be repaired view Support Information to help resolve this issue

What do you recommend?  Note I am just early in the game so If need be I could destroy the pool etc.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Data recovery. :(

Basically the partition table is damaged (critically) and can't access the data. You'd need to either find a tool to repair this issue, or run data recovery to recover the files off of the disk (all the files are stored in a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder, so you can easily recover them). 

Sorry. :(

So you want me to recover it from the disk pool or in one of the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder?

It is not visible, but under the CMD prompt I can see it in the drive pool e.g. 

G:\ServerFolders\Pictures>cd FamilyPCNewPictures

G:\ServerFolders\Pictures\FamilyPCNewPictures>dir
 Volume in drive G is DrivePool
 Volume Serial Number is F0A3-6718

Directory of G:\ServerFolders\Pictures\FamilyPCNewPictures

09/30/2012  08:28 PM            87,855 10-1-sched.htm
06/16/2013  09:40 AM     1,313,238,588 album-29991081-downloads-pt2.zip
05/18/2014  08:29 AM    <DIR>          All Pics

Where is this data recovery tool ?

I could not find one on my OS.

I poked around online some more and was able to view the folder  by running the command: attrib -s -h G:\ServerFolders\Pictures\FamilyPCNewPictures

For some reason there was a 'System' attribute on the folder and this fixed it

However still seeing the following only on the drivepool:

• Under the Server Folders and Hard Drives --> Hard Drives Tab I right clicked on the DrivePool G and ran Check and saw the following error that I tried to repair

The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
All NTFS boot sectors are unreadable or corrupt.  Cannot continue.

When I run this check on the 2 physical drives that make up the drivepool they checkout fine, is this normal behavior?

Ah, sorry that I misinterpreted what was going on.

Chkdsk won't work on the DrivePool disk. It's a virtual drive, and not actually there. Therefore, chkdsk will fail. Outright.

Though, this relates to the issue directly....

All the files are stored on the "PoolPart.xxx" folders on each disk. StableBit DrivePool just grabs the contents of the folders and displays them. If they're not showing up on the pool.... check the folders on the disks themselves.

But if it's not showing up in the Pool, they may not be on the disks.

I'd recommend checking the event viewer's "System" section and see if there are any "disk" errors or warnings. And to run a chkdsk on disks that make up the pool, not the pool directly.

Chkdsk won't work on the DrivePool disk. It's a virtual drive, and not actually there. Therefore, chkdsk will fail. Outright.

OK, then I am good, the folder was always there, it was just hidden. For some reason my robocopy script was, and still is when I run it again, setting that folder as a 'system' folder, maybe because it was trying to copy the recycle bin.

EDIT: I can confirm this is a robocopy issue. More info here:

Thanks

Yea it was totally robocopy's fault. I edited the script so it won't back up system files and now the folder doesn't disappear.  Drivepool itself has been working well and gives me peace of mind knowing my stuff is duplicated.  I love that I can add any drive lying around to the pool, so much more flexible then raid!  :rolleyes: