"Scanning 0.00%" followed by nothing much happening

ALH

Question

Title says it all really.

My backup server has five HD is in the tower, and another five HD in an Orico USB 3.0 enclosure.

Both boxes have just one drive with a status reporting as "Scanning 0.00%". And nothing happening.

Any suggestions what the issue is  please?

Cheers

6 answers to this question

Connecting via USB 2.x?  If so, then this can cause the scans to be super slow.  You can check the disk details in StableBit Scanner to verify that. 

Also, double check the scanning section to see what exactly it's doing: 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk Scanning Panel#Sector Map

I'm also sort of experiencing this. Although my system has about 23 disks, and some were reported to have disk issues. One with a allegedly damaged file system, yet to be discovered by chkdsk at  reboot. My system runs Windows 10 Pro on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 mk II, with a plethora of expansion cards & stuff.

2 x 4-port SATA controllers (Marvell 92xx) with 3x5-port SATA III multiplier cards, as well as a 1x5 port SATA II multiplier card (One broke a while back...).
Also got an PCIe card with 500 GB NVMe SSD.
I have a 120 GB SSD on the single motherboard SATA connector as main OS drive.

2 x 180 GB SSDs and one 2 TB mech. disk separately on one controller, the rest of the 18 disks are on the multiplier cards.

Suffice it to say, this server works for a living!

I've had multiple cable problems on occasions over the past 3-4 years with this server, mostly because of cheap & dodgy SATA power Y-cables (Chinese crap, not reliable!!!), so there are a bunch of S.M.A.R.T-data accumulated because of this, and since this install (DrivePool) is fairly recent (About a month) and most of the data is moved into the drivepool-folders on each disk, and they're quite full and I don't have replication on for these files (Set as a rule for these), so understandably there's a lot  of data to be scanned.

It's been running now for about an hour, and it's still stuck at 0.00%, and another disk shows "Scanning file system", but neither shows any progress.

Windows being that what it is, a deck of hundreds of thousands of cards, it's not surprising if it got caught up in a loop somewhere. But I think perhaps something could be done with the code for this part of the program that polls that module in some other way to show what's happening, and in case there's a hiccup, alert the user and/or retry the query/action/whatever.

I've received multiple messages that I need to reboot to fix these errors, so maybe it's very busy checking/parsing these errors before the actual scanning can begin, but it sure would be useful if the program could, as I wrote above, poll the <whatever> engine to give some information about what's going on.

Edit: I did restart the service in the manager, and ran a manual scan and now it's working.

Edit 2: I let it run the surface test on one of the drives, randomly, and while it does update the progress percentage, it doesn't show the sectors. I chose the large blocks view (or, at least I think it was), and it won't update those as it would seem, so I think there's work to be done on that updating thing... It's been running for around two hours now and is at about 45,11% on a 2TB drive, and only 4 blocks (each 23.0 MB) are shown as blue, assuming that means good. Didn't check so much as I've only used this for a few hours and got hung up on that same problem that ALH above also initially had.

Ac3M,

You have my sympathies. I ended up retiring  the server  ( mentioned in my first post above) last year.  Apparently random problems with  damaged file systems on the hard drives started to turn into destroyed partitions. Server comprises Xeon E3-1245 v3 Installed on a ASUS P9D WS  motherboard with an Intel C226  chipset. And a Windows 10 Pro OS. And DrivepooI. I simply could not work out what was causing the  damage.

A few months ago I pulled the thing apart and removed every hard drive  (apart from the boot SSD) leaving just CPU, RAM, and power supply.  And put things back in one of the time to see if I could recreate the fault (s). Eventually able to show that the problem was a dodgy SATA  extender card.   (And just to show that sometimes the technology does work. When the server was originally set up, I installed 3 Toshiba 3 TB 3.5 inch drives in  RAID 0 Running under Intel RST.  Sure,  the hard drives have not exactly been hammered for the last seven years. But even after being ripped out and reinstalled as part of the fault finding, they still ran like a charm.) With hindsight, it should have twigged that the SATA  drives connected to the motherboard chipset were fine - it was the remaining drives that were playing up.

Have you had any more problems on your server since you replaced the cables?

Returning to my original thread of hard drive stack  stuck on 0.00%. After poking around, and reading the advice above, I opened the "Disc sectors" window on one of the recalcitrant hard drives. On the left-hand side (between two drop-down boxes) is a little button. Placing a cursor over the button brings up the useful bit of information that it will "start test".

Everything worked as it should after that. When the (manually started) scan on that drive finished, it automatically went on to the next one. My problem is now solved. Best of luck sorting out yours.

Cheers,

ALH

On 12/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, ALH said:

Ac3M,

You have my sympathies. I ended up retiring  the server  ( mentioned in my first post above) last year.  Apparently random problems with  damaged file systems on the hard drives started to turn into destroyed partitions. Server comprises Xeon E3-1245 v3 Installed on a ASUS P9D WS  motherboard with an Intel C226  chipset. And a Windows 10 Pro OS. And DrivepooI. I simply could not work out what was causing the  damage.

A few months ago I pulled the thing apart and removed every hard drive  (apart from the boot SSD) leaving just CPU, RAM, and power supply.  And put things back in one of the time to see if I could recreate the fault (s). Eventually able to show that the problem was a dodgy SATA  extender card.   (And just to show that sometimes the technology does work. When the server was originally set up, I installed 3 Toshiba 3 TB 3.5 inch drives in  RAID 0 Running under Intel RST.  Sure,  the hard drives have not exactly been hammered for the last seven years. But even after being ripped out and reinstalled as part of the fault finding, they still ran like a charm.) With hindsight, it should have twigged that the SATA  drives connected to the motherboard chipset were fine - it was the remaining drives that were playing up.

Have you had any more problems on your server since you replaced the cables?

Returning to my original thread of hard drive stack  stuck on 0.00%. After poking around, and reading the advice above, I opened the "Disc sectors" window on one of the recalcitrant hard drives. On the left-hand side (between two drop-down boxes) is a little button. Placing a cursor over the button brings up the useful bit of information that it will "start test".

Everything worked as it should after that. When the (manually started) scan on that drive finished, it automatically went on to the next one. My problem is now solved. Best of luck sorting out yours.

Cheers,

ALH

Sorry for the late reply.

Well, my system's a bit different from yours. Don't have much more to add to this at the moment, as I've been otherwise occupied lately.

I do however experience some unrelated (to this) problems with AirDC++ (Yes, some do still use DC...) complaining about hash files being used by other processes, and my guess is that while DrivePool's balancing files, it disrupts the client and is unable to write data to the file.

I have yet to try moving my documents folder to somewhere else, and it's tricky since I have moved my Documents folder to the pool (and subsequently changed the settings for the folder) as generally it increases the access times and speed, but occasionally locks up my main PC as a result. Usually due to balancing operations, and once manually stopped it resumes just fine.

I'm currently trying to limit replication between two SATA SSDs and a NVMe SSD right now, so we'll see how that goes.

As for the server and it's cabling, I'm currently working on a backplane PCB onto which I'll put 2 of my SATA multipliers and 10 x 2TB 2½" HDDs so that I'll limit the cabling to 2 per SATA controller.

I'm so sick and tired of having these rats nest of cables and all the problems with dodgy Y-cables for power. It will be so much better, not to mention much cleaner to have it almost cable free. I will at the same time test out staggered spin-up (to avoid extreme power spikes at startup of the drives), and potentially being able to read HDD activity (Latter most being an experiment).

My design is prepared for reading of the activity & online indicators which will be sent to an Arduino so that I can output to external displays, whether it'll be on a OLED or individual LEDs are yet to be decided. I've yet to check if the design is passable, both aesthetically for me, and for the manufacturer. It looks awful upon closeups but at the same time I feel pleased with it, yet not. One of those paradoxes I suppose.

But, regardless if I'll redo the design or not, it will be an absolute pleasure to get these into place (have yet to make a chassis too) so that I can finally relax from these random disk read problems.