Drivepool and file/folder permissions.

fleggett1

Question

Does Drivepool and/or Scanner mess with permissions?  I had a drive fail recently and removed it from the pool, but suspiciously at around the same time, all my files on said pool was "reassigned" to another user.  I had to go into safe mode to reclaim read/write permissions.  When Drivepool does a rebalancing after a drive removal, does it do anything with the security settings of files & folders?

5 answers to this question

If the disk was having issues, the permissions may have been reset.  This can happen when running a file system scan. 

But yeah, it does try to keep the permissions in sync, usually. 

If you need, you can reset the permissions: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

StableBit Scanner doesn't write to any disks without explicit permission, aside from it's settings store.  So, that wouldn't have.

StableBit DrivePool only writes to disks in a pool, and it's settings store. 

So, if a non-pooled disk was effected, then that's unusual.  If you have had any unplanned power loss, eg BSOD's, hard resets, etc, then it can potentially cause file system corruption like this.  Also, hot plugging drives can cause issues, too.

I just had this problem, but the permissions can't be changed.

I have a drive that is causing the system to BSOD on me from time to time (Currently awaiting parts for a build to hopefully remedy this annoyance), and I've disconnected 5 disks and I suspect another has been disconnected. Not the best quality cabling I'm using...

Anyways, tried changing the permissions, but it just won't set them since the system thinks the disconnected drives are still there but inaccessible.

Not sure as Windows lives its own life a bit, but I did several reboots (usually it's enough since one disk might be faulty and only needed a reset), and I'm not sure if these BSODs could have corrupted something, which is highly likely, but question is what?

It looks like all folders that exists on the individual disks pool-folders appear under the DrivePool, but when trying to change permissions it tries to access those from the offline disks

Right around the time I installed DrivePool I was experimenting a bit, still had problems with disconnecting disks at that time, and when a disk disappeared only the contents from that disk disappeared, along with the available space on the DrivePool, but this is different now since I only have read access to the entire pool. Available space looks somewhat OK, although It did at first show about 2 TB free, after some fiddling I only have about 1,74TB all of the sudden.

No change either when trying to fix the permissions for the pool-folders on the individual drives. It would seem that all folders on the DrivePool is write protected no matter where I navigate and then attempt to create a new folder or file.

Also tried that on the individual drives directly, and had no problems there. I then navigated to the DrivePool's corresponding location and sure enough, write errors. No permissions, with reported 1,74 TB of free space, but no dice.

Currently, I'm reluctant to remove these drives as I most likely will attempt to adjust the cables to get these disks back online, but I'm curious as to what causes this write problem. I'm still maybe weeks away from a permanent fix, and currently my setup is located on a shelf somewhat inaccessible so it's not an easy fix unfortunately.

Edit: I have now replaced a faulty cable and re-seated all other cables, and the pool is up again and the write problem is gone.

I would still like to know why the DrivePool thinks the folders exist when a disk is offline, like in my case.

Edited by Ac3M
Adding more details

On 1/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, Ac3M said:

It looks like all folders that exists on the individual disks pool-folders appear under the DrivePool, but when trying to change permissions it tries to access those from the offline disks

It wouldn't. Period.  It would error out, because when you have missing disks in the pool, the pool is put into a read only state.  So you can access the files and folders that are still present on the connected disks, but you cannot write to the pool, nor change permissions on the pool.