Defragging: Individual Drives or DrivePool?

St0ry

Question

19 answers to this question

There is ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUE using either the built in defragmentation software, or using 3rd party software.

Specifically, StableBit DrivePool stores the files on normal NTFS volumes. We don't do anything "weird" that would break defragmentation. At all.

In fact, I personally use PerfectDisk on my server (which has 12 HDDs), and have never had an issue with it.

I am Running WS2012E R2, should I use the built in function or can I use Perfectdisk? I don't want to lose data and want to avoid doing something wrong. My mixture is SSD system drive and 4tb drives internal and external container.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUE using either the built in defragmentation software, or using 3rd party software.

Specifically, StableBit DrivePool stores the files on normal NTFS volumes. We don't do anything "weird" that would break defragmentation. At all.

In fact, I personally use PerfectDisk on my server (which has 12 HDDs), and have never had an issue with it.

The defragger built into Windows Server 2012 can defrag multiple disks at the same time, just select them all like you would select multiple files and hit Optimize. Worked fine for my 24 drive server, it did all 24 at the same time.

The defragger built into Windows Server 2012 can defrag multiple disks at the same time, just select them all like you would select multiple files and hit Optimize. Worked fine for my 24 drive server, it did all 24 at the same time.

Or you can open up a command prompt and run "defrag /c /o"

Or get a list of the commands by running "defrag /?" from a command prompt.

However, I like the PerfectDisk defragger, because it support multiple different profiles, which can boost performance. As well as better support for things like prepping to shrink a drive. As well as the real-time optimization.

However, I like the PerfectDisk defragger, because it support multiple different profiles, which can boost performance. As well as better support for things like prepping to shrink a drive. As well as the real-time optimization.

What version of Perfectdisk are you running? I am familiar with the product as I run it on my WHS v1 box, can you talk about how you have your perfectdisk configured?

What version of Perfectdisk are you running? I am familiar with the product as I run it on my WHS v1 box, can you talk about how you have your perfectdisk configured?

The lastest, which is 13.

Specifically, I bought the "Smart Bundle", which was the server version and 5 Pro versions (for $150).  The server license is $100 normally, so it's not a bad deal.

The "home server" may work, but it looks like it's still using v12.

As for the setup.... I use the "SSD" option for the SSD drives, completely disabled the Pool drive, but I use the "SMARTPlacement" for the rest of the disks, and use the "Performance Aggressive" option. This stores the boot and directory info at the beginning of the disk. Then the "Recently" modified files, so they're at the beginning as well, and will load faster. Then the occasionally and rarely modified files (in that order).  In theory, this should favor frequently modified files, as these are arguably more important.

because it got bumped... I decided to look into defrag stuff again.... 

• Diskeeper is now DymaxIO, with no real options or UI, and a yearly license.
  • Raxco PerfectDisk appears abandoned. 2021 is the latest update, and the website has some pretty critical errors on it. Windows 10 support mentioned, but nothing about Windows 11.  Edit:  They're actually closing, after operating for 45 years. :(
  • Defraggler is discontinued, last version is from 2018.
  • Auslogic Disk Defrag is super spammy.
  • O&O defrag, exists but haven't really tested it.  Server version is separate and much more expensive.

Seems like the era of defragging is dead.  But given SSDs/NVMe drives, and large capacity HDDs,  I can't say that I'm surprsised.