Building new WHS2011 - Question about license

CptKirk1

Question

I've got purchased copies of StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool.

I'm buying the parts to build a new server.  The other one has been running 24/7 for years and I'm starting to get hardware errors all the time.

Can I run my copies of Scanner and DrivePool on both machines while I'm moving data from the old machine to the new one?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Just run trial on new machine until everything is transferred.

Then deactivate it on the old and activate on the new.

DP - Settings-manage license

Scanner- all settings- license-view license details

What happens to the files/share/pool on the old machine when you deactivate a license?

I planned on having them both up and running and copying files from the pooled drives on the old machine to the pooled drives on the new one.

The files are stored on NTFS volumes. So when you deactivate DrivePool, it basically turns off DrivePool. You're files are still fine.

Then you can move the drives to the new system, activate DrivePool, and it will recognize the "old" pool, recreate it, and even try to use the original drive letter. 

This way, you don't have to try and move all the files around and spend hours. This way, you can have the new system up and running in minutes.

Alternatively, you could install DrivePool on the new machine, activate the trial, then copy the files over. Once that is done, you could deactivate the old system, and and use your ID to activate the new system, ending the trial.

Worst case, you could pull all the HDDs and just move them over. DrivePool should recognize the pooled drives, and "rebuild" the pool. And if you don't reattach all of the disks (like you don't move over the "bad" disks), you will have to remove them as it will mark them as "missing". Once done, you could reattach them, and copy the contents of the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder into the pool.

This would be the quickest method.