Does the license have to stay the same when migrating to new computer?

bgtees

Question

On my desktop PC I have a 4-drive pool. I've migrated this before, but I followed Chris' instructions that included deactivating the license. The difference this time is that I am planning to still run Drivepool on the existing computer, so I'm curious if I can move the drives in the current pool to the other computer that will be under a different license that I will purchase.

Bit more info:

-Existing drive pool solely used by my Plex server.

-Just picked up an Intel NUC and a 4-bay USB enclosure.

-Want to move entire current existing pool to the NUC/USB. 

-Planning to purchase a new license and install Drivepool (and Scanner) on the NUC.

-Then physically move the existing drives to the NUC/USB.

-I would like to continue running Drivepool on the existing computer because I will be creating a new (albeit smaller) pool on it with some SSDs.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks!

2 answers to this question

If you buy the discounted extra license where you enter your existing key to prove you already have a license it simply increases the number of licenses available on that key.  You enter the same key into the new installation and that uses up the second license.  The key doesn't change.  I've moved pools around from machine to machine and it doesn't care which machine it's on.  I have 4 drivepool licenses and 6 Scanner licenses and they all use the same key.

4 hours ago, Rob Manderson said:

If you buy the discounted extra license where you enter your existing key to prove you already have a license it simply increases the number of licenses available on that key.  You enter the same key into the new installation and that uses up the second license.  The key doesn't change.  I've moved pools around from machine to machine and it doesn't care which machine it's on.  I have 4 drivepool licenses and 6 Scanner licenses and they all use the same key.

Great! Thank you Rob - that's exactly what I'm doing.