Drivepool strangeness

Pål Andreassen

Question

I've got DP running on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials server. I've got 6 internal SATA disks and 4 more in an external enclosure (icy-box rd3640su3). The enclosure can be connected either though USB 3 or ESATA. When connected though USB 3 the four drives in the enclosure is reporting a lot of "other" data that I cannot explain. However when I connect the same drives through ESATA the amount of "other" is significantly lower. But it now claims to have unduplicated data.

1. I have  "pool-level" duplication of 2x

2. The pool status is 100%

3. Still it claims to have a total of 92 GB unduplicated

I'm having trouble getting the numbers to match. Anyone care to explain?

Version of DB is 2.1.0.528 BETA. I tried running the very latest beta but I experienced some BSOD's so I went back.

StableBit_Strangeness_zps86b1904f.png

3 answers to this question

First, if you experienced BSODs with the latest beta, then please upload the crash dumps to us.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

As for the Pool, have you tried to manually remeasure the pool? (under pool options)?

And is real-time duplication enabled (default)?

The server got so unstable that I had to revert to a system backup from a day before the upgrade. So the dumps are unfortunately gone. I did not think of copying them before restoring. 

As for the pool I did not think a remeasure was required when status was 100%. I did a manual remeasure and now things look better again.

Pal, the last couple of builds include improvements to the measuring code (there was a "drift" issue that would cause these statistics to ... well, drift after time).

But if you notice any instability again, please to get those dumps. They can show us a lot of what is going on.

Though if this was "sudden", did you install anything during that period? such as disk tools or antivirus?