Migration from Drivepool to... ?

mr_yellow

Question

Hey Guys,

Absolutely nothing against drivepool and have been a faithful drivepool user for at least a decade now but I've been worried about data integrity after discovering some corrupted photos probably from a damaged drive removal at some point over the years.  I've contemplated migrating from windows + drivepool to something like unraid for a while but not sure what's the best way or if there are other options out there...  Especially if there's any sort of a way to do an in place migration or reuse the existing hardware (HP ML310e + LSI SAS card + USB3 enclosures).

I'm sure i'm not the first one to think about this...   What have other members here done?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Never heard of snapraid...  googled it a bit and it seems like a good way to add parity checks to files stored on a disk...  but I'm confused how it will work with drivepool.  

Do I run snapraid against the drivepool itself or do it point it to the individual drives and have it scan the files on the drives directly?   Does this remove the need to duplicate any drivepool data?   How would I go about running parity against only certain files in the drivepool that might be spread across various drives?

Thanks,

it depends on what you're moving to, but basically it's removing the files from the pooled drives, and migrating to the new solution.   All of the drives are NTFS drives, so you can easily get the data off of it. 

As for snapraid, this may get you started: 

https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/94-drivepool-and-snapraid/