File Placement Issues.

RJGNOW

Question

Hello, I'm currently having some file placement issues.

Issue:
Error in Balancing File Placement tab "12.9 Gigs could not be moved because a suitable destination.."

Notes:
1) I have plenty of room on the 2 drives (over 200 gigs) where the rules are applied to (Files amount to ~15 Gigs)
2) The Balancing meter on the main UI window doesn't completely fill and just says "Pool Organization" and when I hover the mouse over the far right icon I get something like the message above
3) The Pool window doesn't displays the little blue box to the right of the drives that you would normally see with this error.
4) All balancer PI's are set to "Default"

2021-10-21 07_25_41-Window.png

6 answers to this question

Sounds like a free space issue to me, too. It may have something to do with your settings. For example, under Balancing>Balancers>SSD Optimizer there is a section where you set the "Fill archive drives up to:" and my DrivePool is set at 90%. But maybe your limit is much lower. On a larger HDD, it is possible to have lots of free space left on the drive but maybe your set limit is preventing use of that drive(s). I'd check all those limit settings to look for anything that stands out. 

There is also another option to check off below that "Fill archive drives up to:"  called "Or this much free space" which I have set on 100 GB free per drive. I am running mostly 4TB HDDs on my DrivePool, so 90% limit would mean that 360GB would not be used per 4TB drive. So I set the optional free space setting to 100GB per HDD. I suspect this means that DrivePool will first fill up all my HDDs to 90%, and then continue to add data to the drives until it reaches that 100GB free limit.

DrivePool works great for me, but I have noticed that when I get to my free space limits on the drives, unexpected things happen. Well, probably unexpected to me, anyway. Adding another drive to DrivePool usually solves these free space problems as DrivePool will rebalance itself and usually correct those free space issues. Another thing I occasionally do is to move data off to offline backup drives and/or delete data that I no longer want.

You might try and temporarily move some data off of DrivePool, have DrivePool rebalance itself and clear the errors, and then move the data back on to DrivePool.

Most of my errors are related to Duplication Inconsistency and those errors usually show up when DrivePool reaches its set storage limits. Adding another Archive drive to DrivePool usually solves most of my problems. I have used many different drive pool systems (RAID, Storage Spaces, DrivePool) and they almost always want you to add another drive when free space hits the pool limits. All these drive pool systems seem to work better when they have lots of free space to use. So I hope you find the cause of this error message and can correct your issue.

As far as I know this could also be an issue with the file placement settings themselves.

I can see from your screenshot that you have all your files duplicated = files are stored by DrivePool on 2 different disks. That means, that in each of the file placement rules for a certain folder/pattern always at least 2 checkboxes have to be ticked. Otherwise you're telling DrivePool to store 2 copies of folder/pattern X but you only allow a single disk, which is impossible for DrivePool to fulfill.

Also check all of the other possible reasons for this message in the section on "File Placement Warnings" in the manual:
https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File Placement

Hmm. You might still check the log (gear icon -> Troubleshooting -> Service log...) for error messages to appear when you manually start a rebalance operation via the GUI, or rather the moment it fails.

Apart that, I don't know if there is any use, but if you haven't tried, you can also let DrivePool do the available cleanup operations like

* Manage Pool -> Re-measure...
* gear icon -> Troubleshooting -> Recheck duplication...