How does scanner handle bad sectors?

mr_yellow

Question

Hi,

I have a 2TB drive with a small number of bad sectors detected (~45kb's worth).  Scanner detected them and evacuated the drive which is fine.  I wanted to mark those sectors as bad so they don't get used again so I did a full format which is suppose to detect bad sectors and mark them and unusable (according to a few sites) but after the full format, it lists 0 bad sectors when I do a chkdsk!  

So I'm running scanner on the drive again and I suspect it'll detect the bad sectors.  When it does so, does it prevent the OS from using those blocks is it only for the visual block map in the UI?  

Does anyone know how to mark bad blocks as unusable while keeping the rest of the drive usable?  

Thanks,

And yes, I'd RMA the drive, but the drive is already an RMA of an RMA....   :rolleyes:

3 answers to this question

Actually, a full format will usually "fix" them as well. That or running chkdsk. 

Specifically what "heals" them is writing to the sectors. This will cause the disk to "deal" with the bad sectors and fix them, mark them as bad, or remap them. Both chkdsk and formatting will do this. As will normal usage of the disk (eventually).

Doh...  was trying not to 'fix' them since I'm fairly certain that the bad sectors will come back..  I'd prefer to just mark them as unusable...  

So assuming when stablebit scanner finds the bad sectors again, does it somehow tell the OS not to use those sectors?

Thanks,