8 bad sectors...but still want to use disk...

thepregnantgod

Question

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have a 3TB disk that is perfect except 8 sectors (4k).  I've recovered the file out of that area.  I've tried rewriting to that sector (via consolidating the drive with Perfect Disk) but it still shows up red.

Consequently, Drivepool correctly "balances" all the data off that drive - evacuates it.

I don't want to do that.  Is it possible to keep using this drive in the pool without disabling the scanner integration in drivepool?

1 answer to this question

Well, you can configure the StableBit Scanner balancer to only evacuate unduplicates files, or completely disable that.... Or you could mark the sectors as "good" in Scanner itself (click the "+" next to the drive, and then click the button with the green circle with the yellowish circular arrow)

Though, if you're getting SMART errors on the drive as well, then it may be worth RMAing the drive, just in case. (depending on what errors you're getting).