Drive removal - forcing to use specific duplication pairs?

dan66215

Question

I have a pool with 3 drives and file duplication turned on (2x).

- drive D: 2.4 TB duplicated
  - drive E: 3.31 TB duplicated
  - drive F: 2.03 TB duplicated

The duplication status shows green, which would mean all files in the Drive D: poolpart folder are duplicated on E: or F:. 

If I remove D: from the pool. Drivepool will will move 100% of the files from D: to either E: or F:.

Drives D: and F: are on the same machine so will have the fastest transfer speed.

To remove D, file movement required:
If files on D&E - removal causes files to move from D or E -> F
If files on D&F - removal causes files to move from D or F -> E
If files on E&F - no movement needed

Would it speed things up if disabled drivepool service, then manually copied all of the folders from the drive D: PoolPart folder over to the drive F: PoolPart folder so that it won't try to use the E: to F: path during removal?  Or is the removal process smart enough to know which drives have faster transfer speeds?

Or am I just asking for trouble?

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Yeah, so the D drive has files that are on F as well, right? Move everything over from D and you have two copies of the same file on one drive (won't work actually, it'll then overwrite or not move). So this idea leave you with a partial x1 duplication that then DP has to solve for you.

How much slower is E:? I would seriously consider just using DP. It is solid SW. Maybe spend a bit of time but avoid headaches?