Migrating data from WHS v1: do I need to disable duplication first?

mr_yellow

Question

Hi All!

I'm in the process of transitioning from WHS v1 to Windows Server 2012 R2 and am going to following to following guide to "migrate" all my data into drive pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

Everything makes sense to me but how does drivepool handle files that have been duplicated via WHS and exist on multiple drives under the same path?  Is it smart enough to realize this and handle it appropriately or will it start freaking out that there's the same file on multiple drives?  

Do I need to enable duplication on the respective drivepool's folder first before moving the files from the old WHS DE directory (I think this is the case if I'm reading it correctly)? or should I disable duplication on WHS first, make sure there's only one copy of files, then move the files?

Thanks,

6 answers to this question

I would like some official feedback on this too as I need to import existing data into a pool and there are path/file duplicatins across the drive. I asked in another thread but this seems to be abandoned. So like Mr Yellow I'd be keen to know if this will be a problem.

Do I need to enable duplication on the respective drivepool's folder first before moving the files from the old WHS DE directory (I think this is the case if I'm reading it correctly)? or should I disable duplication on WHS first, make sure there's only one copy of files, then move the files?

Thanks,

Before moving anything, set up the folder structure in DrivePool as it is in WHS v1 (including folder duplication). Then just move your files into the folders that you've created.

Having multiple file parts in the same path is not a problem for DrivePool, as long as the folder is set to be duplicated.

I would like some official feedback on this too as I need to import existing data into a pool and there are path/file duplicatins across the drive. I asked in another thread but this seems to be abandoned. So like Mr Yellow I'd be keen to know if this will be a problem.

If it's been more than a couple of days, please feel free to bump the thread. Or PM me directly.

Thanks Alex!!

And specifically, if the files are in identical locations in the different "PoolPart" folders, DrivePool will see that, check the files, and "handle them" based on the duplication settings. Eg: if it's the correct number and matching files, it just moves on, otherwise it will delete a copy or create an additional copy, depending. Or notify you if they're not matching parts, etc.

just to update this thread...

I migrated the data.  deleted the drivepool settings as per the instructions and restarted.  I had ~5+TB of data across 4 drives to re-scan through.  On my pokey 1.6 ghz Atom processor (Acer H340 Server), it took about 1 day for it to finish scanning.  I had one hiccup where the drivepool UI still showed everything as "other" data but I just had to go into the duplication settings again to force a re-scan which fixed the pie chart.  The duplication scan was faster but still took several hours.  

So far so good.. =)  thanks everyone!