Help Troubleshooting DrivePool Hanging

antgiant

Question

I'm having significant problems with the DrivePool hanging for minutes on basic things like showing the contents of a folder in Explorer. So far I cannot figure out how to locate the source. For instance today I opened a command prompt and simply tried to switch to the DrivePool's drive (i.e. I typed X: into the command prompt.) That caused the command prompt to freeze for several minutes. While it was frozen in that command prompt I opened up a second command prompt and switched to each of the underlying drives, and even listed out a hundred thousand or so files and folders on each of the source drives. So, it feels like the DrivePool drive is hanging for something independent of the source drives.

On the other hand I don't know what that something else could be as in my quest to troubleshoot this I have setup a brand new computer with a clean fresh install of everything including DrivePool. The only thing I transferred was the source drives. Yet the problem followed the drives to the new computer.

StableBit Scanner reports that all the underlying drives are in great shape, and so far I can't find any logs that report problems. How can I root out the source of this problem?

Oh and I did also try the StableBit Troubleshooter. However, it hung infinitely at collecting system information (Infinity defined as well over 80 hours of trying). Also the hanging seems to be intermittent. I might go a day or so without or it might happen every few minutes. I have utterly failed to identify triggers so far.

4 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Try doing the same on the underlying drives.

Also, if you have antivirus software installed, it may be worth disabling/uninstalling that temporarily, as that can cause issues. 

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "Try doing the same on the underlying drives." 

No AV installed other than the built-in Windows one.