WHS2011 Alert

Frisco Bill

Question

I am getting an alert on my WHS2011 dashboard saying "a disk is suspect".  It says to open the dashboard and open stablebit scanner and select the overheating disc.  None of the disks show any SMART or overheating error. How can I determine what is causing the alert.

13 answers to this question

It should tell you what disk in the notification.

However, the best way would be to enable email notifications (requires 2.5).

That should give you a clear indication of what disk is overheating or causing the alert.

Additionally, sometimes the "WMI" method causes false errors. Setting the "Smart_NoWmi" option to "True" in the config file may prevent this behavior:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

It should tell you what disk in the notification.

However, the best way would be to enable email notifications (requires 2.5).

That should give you a clear indication of what disk is overheating or causing the alert.

Additionally, sometimes the "WMI" method causes false errors. Setting the "Smart_NoWmi" option to "True" in the config file may prevent this behavior:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

In my experience, the dashboard notifications never identify which disk it is.  I can only see that in the email notifications or by looking through all the disks in the Scanner UI.

I think what happened is that I have a drive with an error.  Reallocated sectors kept increasing.  I removed the drive and added another while the alert was active.  Now there is no error, but WHS thinks there is still an alert even though all the drive is Scanner show Healthy. 

I set Smart_NoWmi to true, and the error went away, but I could not longer get SMART data from two drives connected to a Silicon image PCI-Express SATA adapter.  I changed it back to false and the error did not return and I could once again receive SMART data from those two drives.

I have the same situation:  I bought a scanner license several months ago (to support Alex as I have had Drive Pool since I built the WHS 2011 server) but just installed scanner.  On 9/1 at 2AM got an email saying there were 9 reallocated sectors on disk G:.  Next day at 2AM another email saying 13 reallocated sectors.  I had a spare so did a 'remove from pool', shut down the server, replaced the existing disk with the same mfr, same model,, same SATA cable.  Restarted the server and added disk to pool.  All OK.

But I still have the alert showing from 9/2 at 2AM that says 'a disk is suspect (SMART)'.  I've ignored it but I had expected it to get reset somehow.  I thought before I tried the Smart_NoWmi routine from above, I'd see if you want any more info from my system the way it is now to help find a fix.

Opening the dashboard and then clicking the Alerts link (just under the WHS 2011 logo next to Server Settings) shows me this screen which almost the same as the other shot and still doesn't have a delete button.

clipboard01.jpg

OK, right clicking the alert gave me a choice to delete it.  Gone now.  Thanks for your help.

And that's what I mean by well designed. :)

And yeah, ideally "delete" should be in the list of links for the alert, and not exclusively in the right click/context menu for the alert.

Either way, glad that you got it resolved. 

If you have any other issues or any questions, don't hesitate to ask.