DrivePool hangs while HDDs spin up

womegunite

Question

I have a complicated DrivePool nesting that include my local SSD, CloudDrives, and some USB HDDs. I have always noticed in the past, when accessing a USB HDD directly, that explorer will hang until a cold USB HDD has gone through he power-up and handshake phases, and then response is normal.

I still get the same experience on my DrivePool if my USB HDDs are cold. I'd expect this phenomenon if I were reading/writing a file directly. If DrivePool is pinning metadata, which I assume includes the MFTs, why would this be the case? What am I missing?

5 answers to this question

I wouldn't know but I highly doubt Drivepool pins MFT data and so, even a simply directory listing would require access to the USB drives.

I would not want that to change either. In my experience, DP is very fast at dealing with changes to the Pool even when made directly to the underlying disk.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Tinkering with the I/O performance settings may help here, namely the download threads.  

And the enumeration is dependant on the pinning and connection speed.  

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but got a similar query.

Got a hybrid pool consisting of 1) online Google Drive and 2) offline drive pool (4xHDDs). The hybrid pool becomes very slow to check/measure, which is being dragged by the online drive. CloudDrive shows 1x download thread at 2-3mbps, and trying to pin data despite having enabled data pinning earlier. This happened as the NAS experienced an improper shutdown.

@Christopher (Drashna)Is there anyway to accelerate data pinning (or force multi-threaded downloads)?

Thank you!