Can somebody please help me with "File Placement Limiter" ?

mbc0

Question

Hi,

I can only imagine I am not understanding this properly?  I have been reading but getting myself more confused :-(  

If you look at my screenshot you can see that STARTECHDISK12 & USB3_1TB have got Duplicated & Unduplicated files on them.. I have specifically asked (by ticking the box) not to have unduplicated files on these disks but it seems to be ignored? 

I am sure I am doing something wrong or not understanding can somebody please explain?

Many Thanks

Capture.JPG

5 answers to this question

Actually, everything looks "proper" there.

On the two disks in question, look at the bars in the main UI. Notice how they have the dark blue arrows underneath the bars? That is the "target" for the space used. 

However, since the other drives are very full, that "Try not to fill a drive above XX%" slider is preventing the disks from evacuating the files off of that drive. DrivePool needs more space, or to move the slider (but even that doesn't look like it will help that much, as most of the drives appear to be over 95% full).

But ideally, adding disks would be the best option here. (I know that's not a great recommendation, but you're almost at capacity).

Though, from the sounds of it, ideally you want the balancer to forcibly swap where the files are. 

If so, on the main page, what are the settings that you have there?

Many Thanks for your reply, I am adding another 4TB over the next few days but yes I would like to swap the files so that only duplicated files are on the 2 drives in question, I know I am nearly full but why doesn't drivepool swap the files around? I still have space on the two drives in question?

Here are my main settings

Capture22.JPG

Okay, everything looks "fine", then. Unfortunately.

And no, the file placement limiter balancer doesn't swap data out. 

However, if you want to force DrivePool to migrate more out.... set the slider in the File Placement Limiter balancer to 99% and the one in Balancer Settings to 100%.