Drivepool Stuck Connecting to Service

Dizzy

Question

Stupid windows forced an update and rebooted my computer.  It was acting VERY sluggish.  I then noticed that none of the drives were accessible.  I went to check on Drivepool and it was stuck with "Connecting to Service (11 minutes)"

I tried rebooting it again, but now I can't even connect via Remote Desktop.

Please help! :(

9 answers to this question

Ok, to sum it up....

Two of the drives in my pool were having major issues.  Drivepool took a long time to start the service (approx 30min), and the drive was severely unstable when it did run.

Removing the drives did not work as the drives, and drivepool were too unstable.  Once I physically removed the drives and restarted the server everything came back up in an almost normal way.  I then hit 'Remove' on the two drives that were missing.

At this point I do not know if it was the drives or a controller issue, but once the pool remeasures and things are quasi stable, I will look into that and see if I can manage to recover anything from the drives.  I am hoping so since that's about 9TB of data :(

well, you can run "dpcmd ignore-poolpart" to immediately eject a disk from the pool, and mark it as removed.  This prevents the drive from being used by the pool, and does NOT move the files off of it.  

But yeah, just disconnecting the disk and then reconnecting the drive will cause it to show back up in the pool, if you didn't remove the hidden "PoolPart" folder. 

I finally got it to boot back up, but it's SLOW!  Scanner says the same 2 drives are damaged (have been for a while, been waiting for prices to normalize before I replace them).  Drivepool says "Starting Service (9 minutes)"

My OS is a SSD and it not damaged.

I'm trying to remove the damaged drives from the pool and it's gotten to 0.2% over 2hrs.  They are both 90% full.  I thought Scanner (or DrivePool) was supposed to move data from the damaged drives.  The reason I went with DP/Scanner over some kind of raid was for some level of automated protection.

Well 9 hours later and it's still at 0.2%

I checked all 3 boxes when I went to remove the drive.

At this point, would it make sense to physically remove the drive, and then remove from the pool?  Then I can plug it back in and try to recover the files.

Yes, that is a tad annoying. I would consider connecting them to another PC (via USB even), then try to salvage what I can over the network. Also, because I'd prefer to run HDD recovery software on a client.

How do you know they have been broken for a while and why hasn't Scanner tried to evacuate?

12 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Yes, that is a tad annoying. I would consider connecting them to another PC (via USB even), then try to salvage what I can over the network. Also, because I'd prefer to run HDD recovery software on a client.

How do you know they have been broken for a while and why hasn't Scanner tried to evacuate?

I didn't have enough space to evacuate the drives :(

By the end of next week I should have plenty of space.  I will be reviewing all my settings and adding some other backup options as well.