1.61gb unreadable?

thepregnantgod

Question

Transferring my disks to a new build, etc.  Only one of my disks has thrown up like 3,000,000 unreadable sectors.  Literally, Scanner reports that 1.61gb is unreadable.  Cooincidentally, Windows reports the same amount of disk space used as 1.61gb.

I've run Windows chkdsk and no errors.  I can access the files too (though I didn't access all of them, but if 1.61gb is unreadable and that's everything - then simply accessing one 40gb file should demonstrate something's not right...

Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

Actually... you're evaluation of the situation isn't quite right.

First, that you have that mean bad/unreadable sectors is scary. I'm considering tossing a drive that had 700....

And it is likely that this is the same uses space. Windows has probably marked the sectors as "bad" already, and is reporting them as used.

And you say you've ran CHKDSK. Did you use the "/r" option? If not, then it wouldn't have touched the bad sectors, as the "/r" switch is specifically designed to try to recover or reallocate these sectors.

Just note, that if there is anything on the disk, this will make any data in these sectors unrecoverable.

And by default, Windows may try to write to one of these bad sectors. This will "usually" recheck the sector, try to recover it or reallocate it to a spare section. As your write more files, it will do this more and more, depending on the location of the sectors. So you would not normally see corruption of new files on a disk. Only the existing files would be corrupted.

But needless to say, this is bad and you should RMA the drive. ANd if it's out of warranty, it may indicate a physical defect, or actual damage to the disk.

I have to confirm this, Drashna, but I believe the problem is that Scanner doesn't have administrative rights/ownership to the files.  I've tested all the files as well as did a chkdsk /r via Windows.  The drive is fine but having pulled the pool from another system, it seems that Scanner tries to read them and can't so it marks them as unreadable (the amount of unreadable sectors is identical to the amount of used sectors - give or take).

Again, I have to confirm this but that is my initial finding.